Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

change oil, BRAKE, Anti-lock lights are on...

ericcfx1984
05-10-2011, 02:40 AM
change oil, BRAKE, Anti-lock lights are on...

what do I do about that?

tblake
05-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Eric, I assume you changed your head gaskets? Any more overheating issues?

You can reset the change oil light, there is a button in your fuse box.

Do you only have the antilock and BRAKE light on? Or is the "service vehicle soon", "ABS", and "Trac Off" lights lit too?

Might not be a bad idea to have it scanned with an ABS capable scanner. How is the brake fluid level in your resivore?

ericcfx1984
05-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Eric, I assume you changed your head gaskets? Any more overheating issues?

You can reset the change oil light, there is a button in your fuse box.

Do you only have the antilock and BRAKE light on? Or is the "service vehicle soon", "ABS", and "Trac Off" lights lit too?

Might not be a bad idea to have it scanned with an ABS capable scanner. How is the brake fluid level in your resivore?

well so far i have around 1,100 miles since the head gasket, no loss of coolant, fans are working, but every once in a while whilst sitting still (and I think with the A/C on, the engine will hit the temp in between the middle line (normal) and the 3/4 line... it goes back down after I get moving...

fans DO kick on, but they never really get moving really fast, like they are stuck on low speed?

ideas?

things I have done...

heads decked and checked

head gaskets (Felpro)

metal/rubber felpro LIM

basically all gaskets from headgasket UP

T stat

hoses

radiator cap

HEAVY coolant flush

new GREEN coolant... NO MORE DEXPOO

new radiator

skeeter123
05-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Check outBNaylor's temp data in this thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=979504&highlight=coolant+temperature

I replaced the stock thermostat with a 180-deg one just to keep the temp down; I also switched from Dexcool to the green stuff (prestone). Some people reprogram the ECM to turn fans on at lower temps, but I won't go that far. With A/C on, the fans should keep it from getting more than a notch above half-way.
Check to see if there's a ton of crap blocking the airflow through the radiator/condenser; I've heard of people pressure-washing (carefully) a decade-worth of bugs out of there.

Ditto on the ABS-capable reader; it will tell you if there's an ABS code stored.
Check the emergency brake switch: put it in drive and pull up on the e-brake; the warning bells should go off. Sometimes if the switch is out of alignment, the ecm will think the e-brake is on and turn on the Brake light. (or you are low on fluid)

Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!