Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing transmisson in 2006 Sonata

debdenis
05-09-2011, 12:49 PM
I am purchasing a 2006 Sonata, and have been told that the transmission fluid needs to be changed. Can this be done by myself? And if so, how is done? Does it have to be flushed? Or drain and fill?

lowsonoma1999
05-09-2011, 04:11 PM
How many miles? Hyundai recommends every 30k miles. If it's been any more than 60k miles since the last one, I would recommend a flush, which you would have to have someone with the flush machine do it. Just make sure you use the SPIII fluid. If just doing a drain and fill, I think there is a drain plug on the pan to drain it.

Pierutrus
05-09-2011, 08:42 PM
How many miles? Hyundai recommends every 30k miles. If it's been any more than 60k miles since the last one, I would recommend a flush, which you would have to have someone with the flush machine do it. Just make sure you use the SPIII fluid.

NEVER DO A TOTAL FLUSH ON A TRANSMISSION! Unless of course you plan on having it rebuilt within 12 months....:headshake

If just doing a drain and fill, I think there is a drain plug on the pan to drain it.

You are kidding right? I THINK there's a drain plug.
Me thinks you oughta not be giving advice on things you got NO CLUE ON!:nono:

Seriously, just drop the pan, change the filter, reinstall pan with new gasket, refill. That way you are just diluting the fluid.:grinyes:

lowsonoma1999
05-10-2011, 10:30 AM
You are kidding right? I THINK there's a drain plug.
Me thinks you oughta not be giving advice on things you got NO CLUE ON!:nono:

Seriously, just drop the pan, change the filter, reinstall pan with new gasket, refill. That way you are just diluting the fluid.:grinyes:
Why don't you stop giving advice on something YOU have NO CLUE on.

#1. I work at a Hyundai dealership, we do several transmission flushes a week, WITHOUT problems.

#2 There isn't a serviceable filter on this car, so it CANNOT be changed.

Add your comment to this topic!