Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A Couple Questions

Dacaprice
05-09-2011, 12:09 AM
1. I would like some more info on putting 87-90 headlights in an 86. I've seen it and there has to be a way.

2. I would also like to know if there's a walkthrough someone can point me to for doing the actual header panel swap.

3. There's something I have always wondered, on the broughams how come some vinyl tops curve up in the back and some go strait back, even on the same years up to 1990. Anyone know?

any answers appreciated

silicon212
05-09-2011, 12:21 PM
#1. Swap header panels - you cannot add the composite headlamps to the '86 header.

#2. a) You need a 10mm socket, an 11mm socket, a 13mm socket, and a 7mm socket. First, with the 7mm socket, there are three screws on each side that hold the urethane filler strip to the lower part of each fender. Remove these. This will require dexterity since these screws are in a hard to get to area.

b) Now, disconnect and remove the battery. On the core support near where the headlights would be, on each side, you will see one or two stamped steel nuts that use an 11mm socket. These need to be removed. There are a number of 13mm bolts/nuts that attach the header panel to the vehicle - there are two bolts that attach to the direct front of the fender, these are way up inside and you will need good dexterity and a 6" extension to get these.

You will have to remove the horn to get the ones on the right side. There are another two bolts on each side, on a bracket that extends to the core support (from the header panel). These will need to be removed. There are also two bolts at the top of the fender, these will also need to be removed.

c) With the 10mm socket, remove the bracket that attaches the center of the header to the core support. You can get to these through the radiator grill, one from below.

Disconnect your headlamps, and with care, remove the header from the vehicle. You will more than likely have to play around with the urethane filler strip side panels to clear them from the bumper. Please note that with the age of the vehicle, these could break/disintegrate with rough handling so keep that in mind.

Installation of the 'new' panel is exactly the reverse of the above, except for a little electrical wiring ...

You will need to replace the ends on the headlamp supply wires with the WP connectors used by the 9005 and 9006 lamps used in these composite assemblies. Note that with your current setup, the outer headlamps support both low and high beam operation while the inboard lamps are high beam only. On the composite setup, the high beam wires from the outboard lamps will need to remain disconnected, as the outboard lamps on the composite are low beam only. Place heatshrink tubing on the end of each now-unused high beam wire and heat it, to prevent future electrical system issues.

#3. No idea. I've noticed that too. I think the design with the upcurve is more elegant than the one that looks like 'lightning'.

Dacaprice
05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the quick response silicon! Now the filler strip you are refering to, is that the quarter extensions or the bumper filler? Can I still use my same bumper filler since it is an 86?

4. Also one more thing I forgot to ask- can you still find those chrome moldings below the windshield that yellow so bad? You know the ones that attach to the top of the hood? Otherwise is it better to just remove them or what?

silicon212
05-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the quick response silicon! Now the filler strip you are refering to, is that the quarter extensions or the bumper filler? Can I still use my same bumper filler since it is an 86?

4. Also one more thing I forgot to ask- can you still find those chrome moldings below the windshield that yellow so bad? You know the ones that attach to the top of the hood? Otherwise is it better to just remove them or what?

My yellowed strip along the top of the hood went away years ago and I can't say I've missed it. However, you can obtain the same strip from a '77-79 Caprice/Impala and it will fit just right plus it's stainless steel instead of chrome-impregnated plastic.

The filler strip from the '86 is compatible with all up through 1990 so yes, you can use the original. The strip is one piece and includes the parts that attach between the lower part of the fenders and the bumper.

Add your comment to this topic!