Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Scale Motorbikes

drunken monkey
05-08-2011, 08:30 PM
ok, this is going to be one of those stupid questions but just how big is a 1/12 motorbike?
every time I look at a WIP of one of those, I get fascinated by the little jewels of details possibly by 1/12 scale but am never too sure how much space I'll need to keep one of them when finished.

Now I'm more or less strictly a 1/24 car guy so does anyone have a photo of a 1/12 bike next to a 1/24 car for a bit of size comparison?
I also have a strange developing obsession for the MV Agusta but I've only seen that in 1/9 scale. Does anyone here have any of the Italeri 1/9 kits to compare to a 1/24 kit?

CFarias
05-09-2011, 12:04 AM
When compared to a typical 1/24-scale automobile, a typical 1/12-scale bike is about the same length, about one-half the width, and is about twice the height. A bike will take up about the same space on a shelf as a car model, especially when it is leaned over onto its kick stand.

Hope this helps.

capella13b
05-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Hi,I've built the MV Agusta F4 and it comes up nice.It would take up about the same space as a 1/20 F1 car.I'll try and find a picture and post it up.

racer93
05-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Slightly shorter than a 1/24 car and much taller, of course. Much thinner, too. (Duh.) Plus, they're much more fun to build and detail! Ok, so I'm editorializing there... ;)

cinqster
05-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Check out your local Modelzone store. They usually have a display case full of 1/12th bikes (diecast, factory made and generally very nicely constructed).

drunken monkey
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Check out your local Modelzone store. They usually have a display case full of 1/12th bikes (diecast, factory made and generally very nicely constructed).

Darn.
That is genius and never occured to me to use die casts for size references.
Regarding the Agusta F4; looks like I might've missed the boat as they don't seem to be as easy to find as they were compared to a couple of months ago...

drunken monkey
05-11-2011, 04:46 AM
OK, back on the MV Agusta hunt.

What do you guys know about the Revell and Italeri reboxes of the kits?
I know that the original Protar kits came in two flavours; High Quality and Swift Builds and that the MV Agusta F4 750 was made in both series but what about the reboxes?
I've found the Revell rebox but can't find any further info about it.

Does anyone know if it is a re-box of the Swift kit or the High Quality kit?

drunken monkey
05-13-2011, 03:07 PM
bit the bullet and bought one of the Italeri F4 kits that I found online.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_CiFVeDwpZmA/Tc2OqecdYmI/AAAAAAAAAXU/S41n-A5UyWk/0001.JPG

Price was pretty standard at just under £30 postage included and it arrived on my doorstep today.

Alas, it wasn't a rebox of Protar's High Quality kits so the hunt is still on.
However, now I know just how big these things are.

Tyre with a 1/24 Wheel and tyre from Fujimi Ferrari 550.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_CiFVeDwpZmA/Tc2Op_o5M-I/AAAAAAAAAXM/lgqNfeRwSSY/0002.JPG

And then the driver's seat area/bodywork next to a Tamiya 996 I have on my table.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_CiFVeDwpZmA/Tc2OqIm-SGI/AAAAAAAAAXQ/h6dwtcBosC0/0003.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_CiFVeDwpZmA/Tc2Oq1blmUI/AAAAAAAAAXY/tIGWsRobvfE/0004.JPG

1/9 is huuuuuge.

cinqster
05-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Good choice of bike and hope the kit does it justice...a pal if mine has just bought a real one - grrrrr!:banghead:

Have a look at the Tamiya 1/6 Harley and sidecar in the flesh, everything will seem minuscule afterwards!!!:biggrin:

drunken monkey
05-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Alas, as I said, this isn't a rebox of the High Quality Protar kit, instead being from the lower part count Swift Model range.
I think I might have a source for one of the High Quality MV Agusta F4 Oro kits which surprisingly comes with what is described as working suspension and actual individually links for the chain so can't wait for a confirmation email.

Also trying to track down some of the Revell reboxes that are labelled as skill level 4 or 5 because apparently, they're also reboxes of the Protar High Quality kits.

Now I'm not really a bike fan and I know nothing about them but there's something about the Agusta that I can't get out of my head.

I feel like I'm cheating on my 1/24 cars.

drunken monkey
05-19-2011, 06:47 PM
right, I've been making steps to getting the Agusta built but am having trouble finding detailed photos of the bike, its engine and suspension.
can anyone point me in the direction of some good sources for this bike?

gpz900ra7
05-20-2011, 04:08 AM
I built one of the Revell re-boxed DUCATI 916 kits about 13 years ago, and it was the worst kit I have ever had on my bench.

Nothing fitted correctly, not even close and it took a load of remodelling to get to it any sort of decent finish.

I have known a few people who just couldn't be bothered to finish it, and it ended up in the bin.

I have some pictures of it posted on here somewhere if you care to look, but its ages ago now, so if you want I can dig it out of hibernation and take some new shots??

I did manage to finish it, and even won a "BEST in SHOW" award in a contest I entered it into, but I swore down that I would never ever build another of the 1/9th scale bikes, and just stick to 1/12th and 1/6th, although I did cave in and build a VESPA Primavera scooter not long ago, again in 1/9th scale, and that just strengthened my desire to never do another :headshake:headshake:headshake:headshake.

I hope this hasn't put you off in your search for the High Grade kit of the MV, its just my 2cents regarding the bike that I built.

Good luck with your quest.

gpz900ra7.

drunken monkey
05-20-2011, 02:14 PM
well, I don't have much choice when it comes to the Agusta seeing as it is the Protar or nothing.

On the other hand, I saw a Revell RC211V for cheap and bought that as well and as a kit, it looks much better than the older Protar (Italeri) Agusta kit.
Everything is much sharper and details are crisper and doesn't look too bad.

Add your comment to this topic!