Transmiison slip, ABS Light, No Speedo...at the same time??

Dusty53
05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Ok, the ABS light came on, the speedometer either bounces or doesn't move at all and the trans slips once it goes into 3rd gear. What could be causing all of this stuff at the same time ? HELP !!!!

blazee
05-05-2011, 05:12 PM
The key part that ties all those things together is the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). Please tell us more about the vehicle... Year, make, model? 2wd, 4wd? Is the Service Engine Soon light on? If so, what are the DTCs?

Dusty53
05-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Oops, 1999 Blazer LT, 4.3 L SFI, 4x4 , Automatic. No check engine light, just ABS. First the ABS Light, then ABS and speedometer jumping around or not registering......now, trans slips a soon as go into 3 rd gear. Hope this helps and Thanks "blazee" for taking the time to consider this.

FishFind
05-05-2011, 08:44 PM
The speedometer reads the transmission to calculate the speed. If the tranny is slipping then that will make the speedometer skip as well.

MT-2500
05-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Oops, 1999 Blazer LT, 4.3 L SFI, 4x4 , Automatic. No check engine light, just ABS. First the ABS Light, then ABS and speedometer jumping around or not registering......now, trans slips a soon as go into 3 rd gear. Hope this helps and Thanks "blazee" for taking the time to consider this.

Describe the transmission slipping and transmission shifting more detail.
Does it only slip in 3 gear and how much?
Little slippage or a big spin out?
Does it go ahead and shift to OD?
Does the mileage on speedometer cluster work right or quit to

With ABS light on and speedometer not working right check for ABS codes.
Post back code no.
Fiest thing to check is.
The ABS and speedometer and transmission depend on a good speed sensor signal.
You do not want to leave home without it.

Dusty53
05-06-2011, 07:24 AM
The trans "spins out" big time as soon as it goes to third gear and no OD, the odometer has not worked for a year or more. I do not have the instrumentation to check codes, sorry. Thanks for the help MT-2500 !! Sounds like the VSS could be the culprit ? I might be able to get a local shop to check the codes for me.

MT-2500
05-06-2011, 08:04 AM
The trans "spins out" big time as soon as it goes to third gear and no OD, the odometer has not worked for a year or more. I do not have the instrumentation to check codes, sorry. Thanks for the help MT-2500 !! Sounds like the VSS could be the culprit ? I might be able to get a local shop to check the codes for me.

Speed sensor could be the problem on ABS.
But spin out big time in 3 gear may be more than sensor problem.
Needs a good test/check out.
Check for codes transmission/abs brakes and go from there.

Dusty53
05-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Problem Solved !!! Replaced the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor ) , $80.00 at Autozone. THe ABS light is off, the speedometer works perfectly, and the transmission shifts smoothly though all the gears. This was an excellent outcome considering what may have been. Note that I checked the old sensor with an ohmmeter and it checked "open", the new sensor measured 1303 ohms resistance. Thanks to everyone for your help and I hope this post helps someone else in the future !!!

MT-2500
05-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Problem Solved !!! Replaced the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor ) , $80.00 at Autozone. THe ABS light is off, the speedometer works perfectly, and the transmission shifts smoothly though all the gears. This was an excellent outcome considering what may have been. Note that I checked the old sensor with an ohmmeter and it checked "open", the new sensor measured 1303 ohms resistance. Thanks to everyone for your help and I hope this post helps someone else in the future !!!

You are welcome and thanks for posting back the fix andhow it went.
Yes posting back fix may help others
Lot of posters search and study and read post with the problem they are having and get good help from them .

Good Luck

blazee
05-08-2011, 04:28 PM
That's great news! Thanks for letting us know the outcome. :thumbsup:

Add your comment to this topic!