Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turn Signal Problem Solved (I hope)

TopherS
05-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I wanted to give an update on a problem my 2001 Park Ave has had for a few years now.

My right turn signal and the hazard flashers have always worked fine. My light bulbs are all in good shape...no corrosion or burned out bulbs at all.

The left turn signal would malfunction in that while flashing at it's regular speed, it would sometimes slow to about 1/2-speed...then when the signal cancelled, it would often times be stuck on (not flashing). The turn signals (front, rear, dash indicator and Head-Up Display) would all stay on (left-side only). Most times you could get them to turn off by turning on the hazard flashers for a moment, but sometimes not. And if they were still on, they would stay on, even if you turned off the car (except for the HUD).

During the time I've had my car, I've had the turn signal switch replaced twice (self-cancelling cam broke once...and once, the right signal would flash, even with the switch in the neutral position). The problem I've had with the left turn signal was NOT corrected by replacing the turn signal switch. The turn signal switch is not the culprit (despite many websites that suggested to people that they make a $650 repair to their car by replacing the switch).

Finally, this past weekend, I went to the dealer, paid $55 for a new flasher unit and practically crawled up inside the dash and replaced the flasher unit. It WORKED!!! No problems in the slightest now.

In researching this problem, I've seen numerous questions posed on various sites where Park Avenue (1997-2005 models with the electronic flashers...not the previous models with the thermal flashers) owners were complaining about the same-type problem. This seems to be a not-too-rare problem with those model Park Ave's. I hope that this posting can help anyone who may be experiencing a similar problem.

The flasher unit is not the easiest to install, but it can be done with careful following of directions. I don't have the website with the directions on how to replace the flasher unit saved here, but if you need to know where it is, I can get it.

Hope this helps.

:cheers:

bigsky
05-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Thanks Topher good info to know.

Scrapper
05-19-2011, 07:48 AM
yes you did have to stand on your head with legs over front seat to get to that flasher rite? why they put them there i dono? they should be shot. but glad you got them working.

robdup2005
11-08-2012, 05:24 PM
I have the same problem with my 1997 park avenue went to rockauto.com order a flasher unit for only 27.52 thanks for the post it help me alot.:loser::loser:
installed new flasher unit all lights working again

Smith1000
11-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Yes and that new "black box" flasher is $55 and it doesn't even work as well as those old, round $3 "thunkers" that they used to use. On top of that, they buried it up under the dash behind a bunch of stuff to where it can hardly be located.

pjf217
12-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Does anyone have any pics of the flasher unit location? Does anyone have a camera small enough to even take those pics? I ordered the flasher from Rockauto and plan on spending an entire day trying to find it. Sounds like fun.

Smith1000
12-16-2012, 08:50 PM
To find it, put your legs over the back portion of the front seat, one leg on each side of the head rest. You then kind of pour on to the floor with your head under the dash, centered. Make sure the black plastic panel section is removed so you have access underneath. The little thunker box will be above your left hand, to the left of the steering wheel , but it is not directly above. There are other things in the way that obscure viewing it. It is above hose items. I broke the plastic fasteners of the things in the way. Don't really recommend that, but I couldn't see another way to gain access to it. I also broke loose the clip on the housing to gain access to the black box. Installed the new one and just let it hang under there. Good luck with it. Mine is a 2002. You will need a real bright flashlight.

pjf217
12-16-2012, 11:22 PM
To find it, put your legs over the back portion of the front seat, one leg on each side of the head rest. You then kind of pour on to the floor with your head under the dash, centered. Make sure the black plastic panel section is removed so you have access underneath. The little thunker box will be above your left hand, to the left of the steering wheel , but it is not directly above. There are other things in the way that obscure viewing it. It is above hose items. I broke the plastic fasteners of the things in the way. Don't really recommend that, but I couldn't see another way to gain access to it. I also broke loose the clip on the housing to gain access to the black box. Installed the new one and just let it hang under there. Good luck with it. Mine is a 2002. You will need a real bright flashlight.

When the flasher comes in, I'm gonna give it the old college try. Thanx so much for the info. But I didn't know I had to be a contortionist to change it.

Smith1000
12-17-2012, 09:56 PM
I found that it is easier to get in this position than it is to get out of it.

Add your comment to this topic!