Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

silly question axles/trannys/vtec non-vtec

crankgrinder
05-03-2011, 08:05 PM
i have 00 civic si model with 1.6 non vtec and have been thinking about converting back to vtec as talked about before. however once when i bought front axle replacements i told the guy i had 00 civic si with a 1.6. the axles i got were the wrong ones (about .100 thicker diameter) and looked closer to equal lengths.When i told him there had been a swap with non vtec 1.6 these were exchanged for the ones that fit which were smaller diameter shafts and had one on the drivers side that was like twice as long as the one for passenger side. my question about this is there a transmission situation going from one to the other and if i go back vtec with a head conversion will a proper transmission bolt up? or did the guy at the parts store just hand me the wrong stuff?

Greenblurr93
05-04-2011, 06:04 PM
If i understand your question correctly... youre asking if you do a vtec conversion on your current motor.. if the axles he gave you would work..

short answer, use the axles meant for the transmission you are running..

crankgrinder
05-04-2011, 09:19 PM
thank you but no im asking if the original was a different transmission entirely, and if so would such a transmission bolt up to the non v-tec once its converted. or is a tranny swap even necessary at all for best possible gains as i will need to either rebuild this one or swap it out in near future anyway? not at all worried about having to go to different axles.

DownToGround
05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
if you have an si, than there should be a dual over head cam engine in ride.. stock.. if there has been a non vtec engine put in its single over head cam. so if you do a head converstion you can use the tranny u have, but for best possible gains putting a dohc vtec engine in and a dohc tranny aswell and new axles to go with it.. hope this helps yo

crankgrinder
05-05-2011, 07:22 PM
thanx folks. just trying to see what my options are on this. didnt know of a dohc tranny would bolt up to a converted sohc engine or not. last thing id want to do is convert sohc to dohc and still be stuck with that same transmission

Add your comment to this topic!