98 lesabre died and wont start p0300 code

papason
05-03-2011, 12:02 AM
this has 150,000 miles no real trouble. My wife was driveing it she said it kinda studdered (she said like it was out of gas, she dont know how it runs with gas LOL) then it died. would not start. She had gone about 3/4 mile. It turns over fine, she added fuel no help. I got a code p0300. I cant remember if I changed the fuel filter 6/09 I dont think I replaced the pump in this car. Had the intake replaced by buick dealer in 06.
I dont drive this car much, but last time I noticed rapid acceleration was not as smooth as seemed like it was. hard to notice probably, Not bad but I am sensitive to things.

So multiple cylinder misfire. What would most likely be the culprit? it is not far from home but, Not home. I dont know if my wimpy toyota pickup could pull it home, slight incline on the way.

I have seen similiarish posts but their cars run. Mine died. With this code i thinik the pump is suspect but I dont think it is it. If I test the fuel pressure (not sure where to hook up) with the key on will that tell me if the pump is bad? Always thought it need to run.

82Stang
05-03-2011, 01:46 PM
A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
Faulty camshaft position sensor
Defective computer

papason
05-03-2011, 02:14 PM
I was not aware the cat was suspect in this code. Although it is pretty unspecific code. I can see it dieing bit wouldn't it restart after it cooled as well as show symptoms. ?
Plugs wires not likely. Coil pack I was gonna check aftr fuel but don't know how to check em.
Some computer fail sure what one and how isolate it? The PCM goes with this code , again not sure about testing it instead of just replacing it.

82Stang
05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Check the easy things first. The plugs and wires could be fouled or wire burnt from closeness to engine/manifold. In my experience, the cat usually goes bad from a symptom upstream, like a rich condition that dumps fuel down the exhaust. But cats don't go bad everyday. So the second thing I'd check is fuel pressure. The sputtering and dieing could be that of an expiring fuel pump. And as far as checking the coil, PCM/computer, look on youtube and there will be videos of different ways to check these.

tempfixit
05-03-2011, 04:06 PM
You need to determine if you have spark and fuel. Try spraying some carb cleaner into throttle body, if it runs on it you have spark and have a fuel related problem if not I would check cmps and coils for spark.

82Stang
05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Another thing to check, if you measure fuel pressure and it's low, then it could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter. You could check the fuel filter by unhooking the line in front of the filter, ahead toward the engine, and cranking for a second. If there is fuel flow, the filter is probably good. But with 150K, it could be plugged, cause the sputter and kill the engine, especially at stops. If it hasn't been changed before, I'd change that now.

papason
05-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Update;
I got a loaned fuel pressre tester form autozone. before using it I checked some plugs they were ok and smelled gassy so expected the pump was ok. checked for spark and got nothing pulled two diff plugs plugged into the wire could not get spark anywhere anyway. checked fuel anyway since I had it and got 50. So am gonna look for any other reason for no spark besides the coil.

82Stang
05-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Update;
I checked some plugs they were ok and smelled gassy so expected the pump was ok. checked for spark and got nothing pulled two diff plugs plugged into the wire could not get spark anywhere anyway. checked fuel anyway since I had it and got 50. So am gonna look for any other reason for no spark besides the coil.

If no spark on multiple wires, then if not the coils, look at the cam/crank sensor.

Jrs3800
05-04-2011, 06:23 PM
You need to determine if you have spark and fuel. Try spraying some carb cleaner into throttle body, if it runs on it you have spark and have a fuel related problem if not I would check cmps and coils for spark.

Do Not do this to any 3800 With the MAF in the Throttle Body....

Jrs3800
05-04-2011, 06:25 PM
If no spark on multiple wires, then if not the coils, look at the cam/crank sensor.

If there is no spark and or injector pulse I would look at the Crank sensor as the culprit... On the Buick V6 the cam sensor is only a #1 TDC reference for SFI... The car will run and start even if the cam sensor is dead..lol

papason
05-14-2011, 01:32 AM
The car was off site and pulling it home was difficult at least. working away from home is hard another day or 2 and the business it was at would likely tell me to get out of there. I had one free tow and so i used it to go to the dealer. It started for them, I tried many times, any way they found the ignition module. It runs fine now.
Thanks for the help.
I would have been a while getting to think it was the ignition module, so probably a good choice.

papason
05-14-2011, 01:34 AM
82stang thanks for the youtube idea. I have seen things on there but never thought of looking for car repair. That was great.

82Stang
05-14-2011, 07:20 PM
82stang thanks for the youtube idea. I have seen things on there but never thought of looking for car repair. That was great.

Glad you got it going. The Ignition module was yet another thing to check in that realm of possibilities.

As far as Youtube, I started looking there a few years ago and was surprised at the amount of help available there. And the videos are much better aides than reading. I like to see what I'm doing.

Well, now that you have a new ignition module, if the car doesn't start again, we might have the rest of the bases covered. :grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!