Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Carbon Fiber doubt

luchoteam
04-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi, i created this thread to ask you guys, about carbon fiber decals...i want to buy but i dont know what sizes should i pick for 1/24 model cars (i dont want to buy something that doesnt match for 1/24), i was cheking at ebay and i found some items (cheaper than i tought) but i dont know what should i purchase

What about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Carbon-Decal-Twill-S-hd04-0008-1-24-tamiya-hasegawa-/380332762608?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588d9965f0

Im new at this thing so im not expecting to have THE BEST carbon fiber decal, just something to make a good interior detail, dashboard, maybe a wing, a rear spoiler something like that...

Thanks in advance.
Luis

rallymaster
04-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I've just purchased recently some of these carbon sheet to this seller so I think I can answer.
The S size twill patern ref is a narrow carbon fiber, it will almost be better in 1/43 scale, but can be used for small details and parts.
if you intend to put carbon on a back seat I would better recommend the weave patern, S size (ref HD04-0012) or M size (ref HD04-0012).
I still haven't used it yet, but it seems really good.
I recently have had troubles using Carpena carbon decals and am now using only Modelers one or Crazy modelers one (but both are getting sold out everywhere !!) and will try and probably adopt the HD one in the future.
I think this seller may still have some crazy modelers ref, I think the best to make your own decision is to try both.
I always got an excellent service from this seller and I can only recommend him.

luchoteam
04-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Thank you very much for your answer Phil...i think that i will buy a decal sheet and maybe some model car, to save some shipping

Thanks again!

luchoteam
04-29-2011, 07:09 PM
By the way...i forgot to ask before...to apply this decal, can i start with water to apply it? or i need something special?

MidMazar
04-30-2011, 02:34 PM
By the way...i forgot to ask before...to apply this decal, can i start with water to apply it? or i need something special?

Typically you can get away just using water. Only time you really want to start using setting solutions like micro-sol, micro-set (or other brands) is when you are putting the decal on a complex shape,curve,bend. It helps the decal adhere.

Also usually the letter you can refer to:
S=1/32-
M=1/25-1/24
L=1/20+

Try www.scalemotorsport.com

Awesome decals and they tell you on the website for what scales they are for.

luchoteam
04-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Tkanks MidMazar for your answer!

Now i think i have enough info, to try this kind of decals...if i use it i will show the news here

cjsbosox
04-30-2011, 03:42 PM
From my experience so far, Studio27 has the best looking CF decals. I dip them in warm water before use. They look great in bot dry or clearcoat effects

racer93
04-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Typically you can get away just using water. Only time you really want to start using setting solutions like micro-sol, micro-set (or other brands) is when you are putting the decal on a complex shape,curve,bend. It helps the decal adhere.

Also usually the letter you can refer to:
S=1/32-
M=1/25-1/24
L=1/20+

Try www.scalemotorsport.com (http://www.scalemotorsport.com)

Awesome decals and they tell you on the website for what scales they are for.
In my experience, I go one size smaller for my CF decals. For instance, on my 1/20 McLaren MP4/6, I used both 1/24 and 1/43 CF decals. 1/20 just seemed too big (especially for older subjects). In the same way, I use 1/20 scale for 1/12 subjects.

Just my $0.02.

Daniel

luchoteam
05-03-2011, 10:02 AM
RallyMaster (or Phil)...did you buy from ebay (from the seller Kallanpartners) or did you purchase from his web site? Because i foun that his website is a bit cheaper than his offers at ebay....but i want to ask before i take the risk :P

Spike2933
05-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Scale Motorsport or Renaissance Carbon decals is all I really use, they work great and work very well with Solvaset

rallymaster
05-03-2011, 02:25 PM
RallyMaster (or Phil)...did you buy from ebay (from the seller Kallanpartners) or did you purchase from his web site? Because i foun that his website is a bit cheaper than his offers at ebay....but i want to ask before i take the risk :P

I purchased from Ebay yes, even didn't think to compare prices on his website.
I already purchased 4/5 times, negociated a bit the shipping asking a global offer on my last order (around 15 items) and got one nice price and a great service, as for the previous orders.
I think that there is a limited risk using paypal on Ebay, compared to a direct purchase on his website by the way... :wink:

luchoteam
05-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Yes, you are right...the "cool" thing about ebay is the security of buying through their system.

I just ask because i was looking at his item pictures and i noticed that he has a website

Well, thanks again for your help!

rallymaster
05-03-2011, 03:18 PM
you're welcome ! ;)

Spike2933
05-04-2011, 12:10 AM
the reason why EBAY would cost more from his site is because of the listing and other fees EBAY has, if the same company uses Paypal payments as well, they are just as good and your not paying the listing fees

sportracer02
05-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Hi,

on my latest projects I used Scaleproduction´s Carbon Decals (-> http://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php/info/p1630_Decals-Kohlefaser-205x145mm---A5-.html ).

You get great material for a good price, it works great, using softener is no problem.

Look here in a German forum how it looks when used: http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=32409

luchoteam
05-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Thank you very much for the links Sportracer02....!

Add your comment to this topic!