00 civic si mods?

crankgrinder
04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
I have 2000 civic si coupe. engine has been downgraded to 1.6 non-vtec and im thinking about a change. can this engine be made vtec with top end replacement and ecm? is replacement with original 1.6 vtec worth the money as far as gains? or should i go to bigger displacement with H22 motor if one can be found?

CivicSpoon
04-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Yes, you can put a D-series VTEC head on your existing block, along with using the ECU for it. If you go this route, it'd be best to get one for a D16Y8. That is assuming you have a '96-'00 D16Y7 in there. You could use one from an older model (D16Z6), but it wouldn't be as easy of a simple install (there are timing issues to deal with, distributor wiring issues, and you'd need 1 different head stud/bolt).

As for the B16A2 being worth it, it depends on how much you can find one for.

With the H22, don't let the price fool you, there is more to it than just buying a "complete swap". You'll need aftermarket mounts, aftermarket or modified axles (nothing anyone couldn't do in their own garage with some patience), and either modifying your engine harness or sending it out to be modified. It does have more parts involved, and more work to do. There's also always H2B (H22A with a B-series transmission).

crankgrinder
04-29-2011, 08:38 PM
thanx dude . i work at a machine shop and i know some guys hooked up with a guy who owns a big salvage yard. im always finding stuff out there for good prices through these folks and i may go that route to make the car more original

Add your comment to this topic!