Are frequent jump starts bad for your car?

jack_x
04-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2002 Honda Accord that I do not drive very much.

I'm having to jump start it often, and wondering if this is bad for the car in any way? Particularly the electronics.

The reason for my concern is that my gear was stuck on park for the first time and had to use the key-in-slot method to release it. After googling a bit it seems that can be due to electronics failure.

I know the correct way is to use a car battery maintainer to trickle charge it, unfortunately I live in an apartment so I do not have access to an external power source.

Appreciate any advise regarding frequent jump starting.

Thank you.

Greenblurr93
04-27-2011, 08:36 PM
why not disconnect the battery in between uses?

you could hook up a simple 'on' 'off' switch to cut the power from the battery.

biggest drawback with that is you would lose all saved presetsin things like your radio/ memory seats, etc.

jack_x
04-28-2011, 12:32 AM
why not disconnect the battery in between uses?

you could hook up a simple 'on' 'off' switch to cut the power from the battery.

biggest drawback with that is you would lose all saved presetsin things like your radio/ memory seats, etc.

Thanks for the tip. I don't know how to do that exactly I'll research it.

But does the battery use that much juice when the car is turned off? In my accord nothing stays on with the exception of the tiny digital clock, which isn't even backlit.

I was assuming the issue is that the battery doesn't get fully recharged when the car is driven. It is driven only once in a while, and when it is driven, it only goes short distances.

BullShifter
04-29-2011, 08:48 PM
There are more things than just the clock that need power. The radio presets, security system, etc. are always monitored. You can buy a quick disconnect for the battery from any parts store or just disconnect the battery(negative cable)

Add your comment to this topic!