97 accord v6 codes 8 & 9

FISHAIRE
04-25-2011, 01:05 PM
It will start but only idle roughly for acouple of seconds. When I checked code it was 4 & 8. Then I cleared codes and started it a few more times. Now I gives me codes 8 & 9.

Could it realy be that 2 sensors have failed at the same time? or is this a false signal caused by the rough idle? Btw it takes 2 or 3 starts to set the codes.

Thanks for any sugestions,
Dan

jeffcoslacker
05-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Those codes are nonsensical for an OBDII system...

Should be in a format PO301, for example. How are you retrieving the codes you see?

FISHAIRE
05-11-2011, 02:16 PM
By jumping the connector on passenger side, turning on the key and counting the check engine light flashes. (using crappy haynes manual instructions)

8 & 9 are the 2 cam shaft sensors
4 is the crank shaft sensor

Update: fuel pressure good, spark @ all cylinders, timing belt marks all line up correctly.
Using test light in place of fuel injectors reveals that 3* of the 6 only working intermitantly while the remaining 3 work most of the time.
audio test confirms 3 clicking 3 not.
*Note: 2 on front cylinder bank 1 on back
also power from resitor block checked good. signals from ecu seem intermitant

A freind sugested that the crank sensor more or less directly controls the fuel ingector signals (thru the ecu) and that it's likly that an intermittant signal from the crank sensor (code 4) is causing an intermitant output from the ecu. I am proceding to remove the crank sensor for a visual inspection.

Does this sound like a good plan ? any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

jeffcoslacker
05-12-2011, 05:14 PM
I can't say, because that procedure is wrong for a '97. '97 is OBDII, you are describing an OBDI procedure. You either have the model year wrong or you're using a manual too old for the car. Either way, the codes you see are probably not valid.

Unless it's a '96 holdover, then it could possibly be OBDI. But I doubt it.

Crank sensors generally either work or they don't. Never heard of one causing problems with one bank and not the other.

Check it out, but check connections and grounds before driving yourself crazy.

somick
05-13-2011, 01:28 PM
There is scan tool connector under your steering wheel.

Autozone reads codes for free.

Good luck,
Sam

jgr7
05-14-2011, 08:00 AM
My 96 Accord is OBDII and the test port connector is behind the ash tray. You open the ash tray and then remove it and the connector is right there.
Jeff

Add your comment to this topic!