Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 radiator replacement

2buicks
04-24-2011, 07:33 PM
I just replaced my radiator when the plastic tank (original radiator) was cracked and leaking coolant. I purchased a Ready Rad radiator from Advance Auto Supply. The radiator came with two brass transmission cooling line adapters which I had to use as the threads on the new radiator were smaller. I did not use any teflon tape or sealant on these fittings. When I finished topping off the coolant, I noticed considerable transmission fluid leakage from around the brass fittings. This job wasn't any easy 30 minute fix and very frustrating when seeing the leak. Anyone have any suggestions? I have read that teflon tape is a NO, NO?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

inafogg
04-24-2011, 07:46 PM
there is no problem using teflon tape on the fittings.might want to see if
you can tighten them some more before,making sure fitting in rad is tight
then tighten trans line.

HotZ28
04-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Teflon tape on the adapter threads servers no purpose, since both the male & female portion of the adapter and hose fittings are flared to seal when tightened.

happydog500
04-29-2011, 06:53 PM
I think it's double what you thought. I think mine was an easy hour fix. Chris.

2buicks
04-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks guys! I think I got it. I called the manufacturer and their tech support said no teflon tape was intended. I didn't have the adaptors or the flare nuts near tight enough. I got the top line tightened and leak stopped with little effort. The bottom line fought me. I removed the cooling fan on the passenger side which gave me extra room for working the wrench. I had it down to a drip when I finally tightened the flare nut while it was hot and that seemed to work. It surely seems like it took way too much mo-jo in getting it to seal. Flare fittings shouldn't take that much effort! Any way, we shall see!

Jrs3800
05-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Just curious... Was the radiator core 1" , 1.25 or 1 3/8 " ?

2buicks
05-04-2011, 03:43 AM
JRS - Specs show the core to be 30 1/2 X 17x 1", 1 row, Model 432019

Jrs3800
05-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Being that you are in FL as well I am glad to hear that... The stock unit is roughly 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch if we are lucky... Dinky for what it is in my opinion...

The 1" core will give you a lot more cooling ability...

On all of mine I use the HD cooling units... On my 95 Bonneville I replaced the radiator with a Caddy V8 radiator.. It takes forever to overheat it now.. Don't get those spikes in traffic either..

Better than stock for sure..

Add your comment to this topic!