Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car Stalled on me

ws6frank
04-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi everyone. Hope everyone is having a good Easter. I ran into a slight problem on my way to my parents' house for Easter this morning. My 2004 Toyota Corolla with 150,000 miles stalled on me at a red light. Luckily it started up with some slight hesitation so I dodged a bullet. At first I thought in my distraction maybe (and this is a rather huge maybe) I let off the clutch a little bit by accident, but I highly doubt it. I arrived to my parents' house and let it idle a minute or two. That red light is the only time the care ever acted up on me. I was thinking maybe the battery is on its way out. I'm absolutely baffled. Thanks everyone.

Brian R.
04-24-2011, 02:36 PM
If it's your battery, you will soon know. If it is the original battery, you are probably right. It is long past replacement. I would get one the next time you are out. Don't wait or you will be stranded. The original (Panasonic?) batteries are really good batteries, but they don't last forever.

Also, keep an eye on the Check Engine light and see if it shows. There are many issues that don't trigger a light the first occurrence. Once it appears (if it does) then you will have a good clue where to start.

ws6frank
04-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Brian R,
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure that it's the original battery as I'm not the original owner, but I have had the car for 4 years and who knows how long the battery was sitting in there before me. Other than that one isolated instance (and I drove it a good half hour after that) there have been no noticeable problems. Yeah, tomorrow I will definitely replace the battery (and hope that was the culprit) as all stores are closed today. Thanks for your help.

Brian R.
04-24-2011, 10:45 PM
The original battery was probably a Panasonic (if made in Japan) or other really unusual brand. If the battery is a Die Hard, or other store battery, then it is not the original.

Add your comment to this topic!