Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Subwoofer question

KairoCross
04-23-2011, 04:26 PM
So i set up my first sub,

12 inch kicker 350 peak.

Its been in my car for 5 days and ive
been messing with the settings for more
bass.

When i first turn on my car in the morning
my bass is pounding like i want it to be, but
after driving for about 10-15 minutes the bass
suddenly gets really quite and i cant really
adjust the settings anymore to make it louder,
any suggestions?

PaulD
04-23-2011, 08:11 PM
one of two things is happening, either your hearing is getting used to the volume or (more likely) the amp is heating up from being driven so hard and is going into a protect mode until it cools down. How is the amp mounted ? does amp have a fan on it ?

KairoCross
04-23-2011, 11:26 PM
The amp is sitting on the carpet beside the sub box,
and there is no fan on this amp

PaulD
04-24-2011, 04:10 PM
you probably have the gain set up too high, the gain or sens knob on the amp is NOT a volume control. It is desgned to match the amps input to the headunits output. Any bass level knobs or EQ's on the amp will be similiarly problematic. The amp will only put out so much, my guess is that you are wanting too much bass out of this setup. Having the sub in the correct box will also help a lot. A fan might help a little, wire a relay into the amp turn on lead to power the fan.

fluxmann
02-16-2012, 07:12 PM
hello! first sub install! just got a new head unit. there is just 1 rca plug for the sub coming out of the head unit. not sure what to use! a splitter? thanks for your time.

PaulD
02-18-2012, 07:53 PM
a sub is single channel anyway, either get a 1 channel amp or bridge a two channel one - it's pretty much the same.

fluxmann
02-28-2012, 12:09 PM
i still have 1 plug coming out of head unit and need 2 at amp? what kind of cable would do that? thanks for your time!

PaulD
02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
looks like the cable on the bottom, it's called a y-cable

http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/subwoofer-cable/10r4-21103.htm

Add your comment to this topic!