Truck Sitting Outside

davejcohen
04-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding a truck I am thinking about purchasing. It's an S-10 I think it is a 99 or 2000. I know it has a brand new trans and it ran good 2 years ago with no problems. My mother in law's Ex-Husband left it in the lawn and recently signed the lease over to her. The car has been sitting in the gravel for pretty much 2 years without being started and this is upstate NY so there has been quite a bit of precipitation. There is no visible rust or anything and I don't see it being exposed to salt where it is.

My two part question is, based on the information given would it be worth it to even fix this thing if it was given to me? I was going to offer 500 dollars for it because she was just going to call the junk yard to come toe it but I know it's gotta be worth fixing. It looks nice, has a cap on the bed and like I said it seemed to run just fine before it was left in the drive.

Second part of the question is, If I do make this my project... what should be done other than changing oil, fluids, filters and turning the engine before starting? Is it a given that I will need new tires, brakes and rubber or should that stuff most likely be ok?

Thanks in advance for your help on this one. I am not the most knowledgeable in this area.

Dave

beatdr
04-19-2011, 02:16 PM
might be worth it I'm usually a "fixer" or "optimist" so hate junking vehicals. Before you jump in and buy it try to get it to run. I'd say just try starting it with an extra batt. I'd have some starting fluid handy to spray in the intake and give it some gas. I say give it a shot but don't jump in head first, don't throw money at it and remember it was on it's way to the trash so don't get to attatched. about sitting can be bad but I've got an old ford van that sat for 5 year here in seattle and just poured some gas in the carb hooked it up to a good batt and she ran fine. But belts, hoses get brittle and will probubly need replacing. brakes will probubly be rusted together so it won't want to move right might have to power through to brake em loose. tires if they're not cracked or bubbled might be fine till they go flat. Anyway good luck.

inafogg
04-19-2011, 02:33 PM
keep in mind that mice may have found a home & they love to chew on wires ect.

beatdr
04-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Oh yeah the mice. my van is FULL of them. I didn't have any wierd grounding issues but it was an airport shuttle so it has like 20 reading lights and they don't work but I'm not sure they worked before.

j cAT
04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
first thing is drain the fuel tank..that fuel will destroy the fuel delivery system..next remove plugs put 1 oz of marvel mystery oil in each of the cylinders of the engine. with plugs out after a day of this oil installed crank the engine by hand..

then with fresh fuel attempt to start..best open the fuel line to purge out any debris in the fuel lines first...

rodents will get you !!!if they chew wires..also get into the intake/air cleaner I even had them make a nest in the exhaust...

brake pads made today will rust to the rotors..this is a pita....

check it out for a low price it may be worth fixing..

Add your comment to this topic!