Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New to me 92 LS400

89Firebird2.8
04-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Got a steal on a 92 LS400, $3,200. Only 112,000 miles and in great shape. It does have a couple of concerns.

1. Everytime I turn on the aftermarket CD Player, i hear the antenna motor running in the back, but the antenna won't come out. I'm worried that this will burn up the motor before I can fix the antenna. What causes this and how do I fix it?

2. I don't know if the switch for the suspension height works. It doesn't seem to change anything when you push it. The light on the instrument panel keeps flashing the 'NORM' indicator.

3. The LCD screen that tells you the time and climate control temp doesn't work. Is this common?

jdmccright
04-22-2011, 11:09 PM
1) Sounds like the toothed plastic strip that is attached to the antenna is broken. You can pull out the antenna and open the motor assy to remove the broken strip. A new antenna can be fed in easily...there are aftermarket ones for $15. Read the directions to install it.

2) Do you hear anything when you first start the car? Electric motors running or hissing? If so, you may have an air leak in the system. If not, the compressor may be bad.

3) If it's like my '92 Camry's LED clock that fades in & out, yes it's somewhat common. But a warning that the sensor doesn't work means that either the ground is bad to that sensor or the sensor has gone bad.

I don't claim to know everything about this car, but these are the more common reasons for Toyotas in general.

Hope this helps!

89Firebird2.8
02-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Wow...this is probably the first time I've logged in since I posted this.

Sold the car a few months ago after the water pump and timing belt gave out, the A/C had died, and a myriad of problems.

Add your comment to this topic!