Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Work gloves???

niceride3397
04-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and recently started working on my own car as a hobby. Does anyone know of any good gloves to use when working on a car? What products do you guys use? I'm looking at several pair right now because the garden gloves just aren't cutting it, haha. Any and all feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

drizler
07-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and recently started working on my own car as a hobby. Does anyone know of any good gloves to use when working on a car? What products do you guys use? I'm looking at several pair right now because the garden gloves just aren't cutting it, haha. Any and all feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Seriously I can barely manage to do any auto work wearing gloves. They just lack the feel and sensitivity to deal with smaller nuts and bolts that make up vehicles. The time I use them most is wearing a pair of those yellow kitchen gloves to work on wet stuff like water pumps ect in cold weather. The blue nitrel jobs don't last me 10 minutes usually. If you don't like the grease all over your hands one thing that helps is something that you wipe on like lotion and let dry so oils don't soak in your skin or at least not as deeply. I think it's called "Liquid Gloves" or something similar. It works pretty well for the most part. As for mechanics glove you will see several different ones averaging 16 to 25 bucks. About all I can say is get some that are as thin as possible so you can have the most "feel" you can get and dont' be bashful about taking them off if you are threading on tiny nuts that can fall into something critical .

toconnell1111
07-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Sure I reccomend these: http://www.toolsupplycenter.com/shop-safety-and-apparel/8286-GLV-STRONGHOLD-XL-BLK-1PR-MECH.html

carpenter_jai
10-13-2011, 02:43 AM
Been using gloves in the trades for a decade and a half. I found the perfect glove 6 years ago and use it for everything. Ansell Hy-Flex foam. These are nitrile so they keep out a certain amount of chemicals and stand up to a washing or two (don't put in dryer). I buy them in a ten pack for about $50 at Acklands-Grainger. http://www.ansell.eu/industrial/pdf/gloves/EN/HyFlex%20Foam.pdf

Jai

StRoshy
05-13-2013, 11:02 AM
To save your hands while working wearing gloves is a pretty good idea. I would recommend Leather or latex gloves should be used. Nitrile Latex gloves are good options as a box of 100 costs only 13 bucks.

drizler
05-13-2013, 05:03 PM
To save your hands while working wearing gloves is a pretty good idea. I would recommend Leather or latex gloves should be used. Nitrile Latex gloves are good options as a box of 100 costs only 13 bucks.

Recently I found something even better and cheap. You get them in the dollar stores. They are a mint green and fairly thick vinyl. Not as skin tight like the nitrile but almost and about 20 times as strong. The store I get mine at is called "The Family Dollar". Nice gloves and you can almost work with small nuts and bolts pretty freely. A nice alternative to the high priced actual mechanics glove is the mechancs gloves Harbor Freight Tools sells. I got a pair of those and they are first rate compared to the 25 buck ones for around $13. Mine are red and black and I love them until I need to do small stuff and then it's back to the bare hands and GoJO.

LadyMe
12-22-2013, 01:22 AM
I think everyone can enjoy working with gloves on if they are wearing the correct size. I fix my truck as a hobby; not a career. I can't have black fingernails and grease-stained hands in my professional life.

Nitrile non-powdered are my favorite. I'm not particularly picky about the brand. I love that they come in affordable big boxes, they fit great, and are exceptionally durable...

DeltaP
12-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Working on class 8, road tractors,big bore diesel engines,brakes and drivelines for the last 37 yrs I've found the only gloves that give me the manual dexterity needed are nitrile gloves. The company supplies ours but you can get them at Harbor Freight reasonably priced. They do come in different thickness and sizes. Look for the heavier guage ones. You will go through them on a job but they're inexpensive. Been using them for the last 10 yrs or so. Wish they were available years ago. I hate to think how much stuff my skin has absorbed over the years.

Add your comment to this topic!