Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

"A-body" rattle noise coming from trunk area

Cressidaadr
04-12-2011, 09:32 PM
I have a new to me 93 and get a rattle noise coming from the rear when I go over bumps. I had some junk in the trunk and thought it was something banging around but I have removed everything and the noise still occurs.

My Dad had a 89 Century and I remember it had the same noise. I think they might have replaced the upper shock mount in the rear to fix it but since I figured this may be a rather common issue I wanted to see if others have experienced this and get some more comments.

I can shake and rock the car in the driveway and I cannot reproduce the sound. I have also been under the back end and did not notice any loose parts or bushings that I could feel.

Are the upper rear shock mounts the suspect ? Anyway to check other than just replacing them?

Cressidaadr
08-01-2011, 07:02 PM
I took a look at the rear upper shock mounts and they look great with no play that I can find.

Anyone else have this problem of noise ?

Moppie
08-01-2011, 07:17 PM
G'day,

Did you check the top and bottom mounts?

Also check things like the exhaust shields, brake backing plates, trim pieces in the boot etc.

Tech II
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Ask any GM tech and they will tell you water leaks and rattles are the things that drive them crazy.....

Your best bet is to have someone drive the vehicle and you ride in the trunk to see if you can isolate the noise....parking lot with bumps would be a good place....while in there place hand on top of the shock/strut mounts to feel the noise if it's coming from there.....may have to drive slowly, with trunk open and look underneath to find problem......above all, go just fast enough over the bumps to make the noise and be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Cressidaadr
08-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Ask any GM tech and they will tell you water leaks and rattles are the things that drive them crazy.....

Your best bet is to have someone drive the vehicle and you ride in the trunk to see if you can isolate the noise.......

I thought about riding in the trunk as you suggest so I think I will just do that.

However, my wife would be doing the driving and there is a chance she would take this opportunity to just drive the car off the nearest bridge so you can understand why I have been slow to get in there. :shakehead

Add your comment to this topic!