Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radiator fan/Fuse

torlok2002
04-12-2011, 10:34 AM
So the engine is running very well after the rebuild, however I'm trying to resolve a couple electrical issues. I figured I'd start a new thread as the other has MANY pages that people don't want to read through.

First of all the radiator fan never kicks on. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced fuse and the new one blew immediately. Any idea what I can do to test? The fan rotates well and was in working order last I can remember. Any troubleshooting tips before I look at a new fan? This might be related but I haven't driven enough to tell if the battery hasn't charged well, but it also does not seem to be getting charged while driving short distances. I ended up having to get a jump a couple times around town. No alarm for battery/alt on dashboard and alternator is putting out juice. A grounding problem perhaps?

The VSS and Cam sensor also got switched when reassembling the head. Now I have no speedo. I'm assuming the electromagnetic sensor got killed somehow? Any ideas other than grabbing one from the local parts yard (Fuses, etc)?

As you can tell the electrical system boggles me...

Blackcrow64
04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Electrical systems on DSM's are total BS... I'm actually having the exact same issue with my fan right now too but haven't made any progress as to why it is happening...

I can't see how switching the VSS and Cam sensor would have killed the speedo cause I accidentally had mine switched at one point too but my speedo still works. There might not be any other option on that one other than the junkyard.

I kinda remember your old thread but wasn't involved in it. I'll have to skim through it and see what all was covered. This problem just started with the alternator after the rebuild?

torlok2002
04-12-2011, 11:02 AM
This problem just started with the alternator after the rebuild?

Yes. I had the same battery in it for around 3 years and just bought a new one about 6 months ago as I though it was a bad battery. I even had the new one tested to make sure something wasn't up.

I'm wondering if something might be draining power faster than the alternator can put it out? The alternator has only around 30k miles on it, and it's spitting out power.

Add your comment to this topic!