Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Lumina won't crank

acarinneed
04-10-2011, 05:08 PM
I parked it and about 3 hours later it wouldn't crank. Charged the battery with no result. I hear a relay clicking under the hood near a small fuse box on the drivers side wheel well. I also hear the fuel injector-type thing make a noise as it sprays fuel. However, I hear no noise from the starter (no clicking or anything). I've done nothing else. Engine is 3.1 w/auto trans.

maxwedge
04-11-2011, 07:04 PM
See if you have 12v to the sarter solenoid when attempting to crank.

acarinneed
04-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks, maxwedge. The weather hasn't permitted me to get to the car yet. But when I can, I will do that (after I check and clean battery posts/terminals and put a charge on the battery). Thanks, and I'll post the results.

acarinneed
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
The weather finally let me check some things. I have good battery voltage. When I try to crank it, the headlights don't dim. I have full voltage at the starter on the big solenoid terminal, but no voltage on the purple wire terminal, even when turning the ignition to crank. But if I short the purple wire terminal and the big terminal on the solenoid, it starts right up and runs fine. What thing(s) should I look at next? Thanks!

maxwedge
04-29-2011, 07:01 PM
That purple wire has to go thru the trans prndl switch which I believe is on the top of the trans where the linkage enters, back track thru it back from there.

ibbobud
05-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Theres a seperate neutral safty switch located at the steering column that would prevent this. To test this theory you could find the switch connector and bypass it temporarly and see if the car starts. if so then either replace the switch or permanently bypass it.

** WARNING ** bypassing this switch will all your car to be started while in gear!

maxwedge
05-01-2011, 02:55 PM
I believe 92 was on the trans, could be wrong though. Autozone.com, repair guides has the info.

Add your comment to this topic!