Changing fuel lines

19jettadad97
04-10-2011, 04:37 PM
I need to change a fuel line on my daughters 98 Cavalier. It's the line from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. I tried to change the filter and the quick release plastic tabs snapped off and I can't get the filter off. The plastic piece didn't even move b/c there is so much dirt and rust on the line. It doesn't leak yet but she's taking a trip out of state soon so I need to get this done asap. I have a few questions, can anyone answer? Bare in mind I have never dealt with high pressure fuel lines, just the regular carborator lines.
1) Do I still have a chance of getting the filter off with the broken tabs? (Like with screwdrivers or something) If so, how? If I can get it out I don't have to change the line.
2) How does the fuel line disconnect from the pump? Special tools or anything?
3) Can I get to the fuel pump without dropping the tank? (Trunk? Back seat?)
4) Where can I get the OEM fuel line I need other then the dealer?

I appreciate any help I can get. I've done some searching with no luck and I'm running out of time.

inafogg
04-10-2011, 04:52 PM
not sure what broke,if its just the Q/connect you can push it in with a small
screw drive.remember there is 2 lock tabs.You can buy the q/c.
The pump side of the fuel line should be the same,you may need to lower the tank to get to it.As far as replacing the fuel line i believe its a dealer only part.
you can remove pump fuse & run engine until it dies to relieve f/pressure
not sure if there is a shreader valve on the cavalier to release pressure
Good luck

inafogg
04-10-2011, 05:08 PM
after looking on the autozone site you maybe able to get the f/line in an after market brand

Scrapper
04-10-2011, 05:54 PM
I need to change a fuel line on my daughters 98 Cavalier. It's the line from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. I tried to change the filter and the quick release plastic tabs snapped off and I can't get the filter off. The plastic piece didn't even move b/c there is so much dirt and rust on the line. It doesn't leak yet but she's taking a trip out of state soon so I need to get this done asap. I have a few questions, can anyone answer? Bare in mind I have never dealt with high pressure fuel lines, just the regular carborator lines.
1) Do I still have a chance of getting the filter off with the broken tabs? (Like with screwdrivers or something) If so, how? If I can get it out I don't have to change the line.
2) How does the fuel line disconnect from the pump? Special tools or anything?
3) Can I get to the fuel pump without dropping the tank? (Trunk? Back seat?)
4) Where can I get the OEM fuel line I need other then the dealer?

I appreciate any help I can get. I've done some searching with no luck and I'm running out of time.
you can get those clips at autozone i just had to for a thunderbird because clip broke i think i payed around 3 or bucks for them.

19jettadad97
04-10-2011, 11:05 PM
not sure what broke,if its just the Q/connect you can push it in with a small
screw drive.remember there is 2 lock tabs.You can buy the q/c.
The pump side of the fuel line should be the same,you may need to lower the tank to get to it.As far as replacing the fuel line i believe its a dealer only part.
you can remove pump fuse & run engine until it dies to relieve f/pressure
not sure if there is a shreader valve on the cavalier to release pressure
Good luck
The quick connect is what broke. I can't squeeze it in b/c it seems like it is welded on to the line. Of course it's not, but you get the idea. The line to the tank looks like (pics I've seen) it is just pushed onto the fuel pump with no clamps. How do these lines come off and go on? I don't get it, does it just push on, without a clamp? If they don't come off easy would I be able to cut that line off, put regular (reinforced) fuel line on with regular hose clamps? If so, I could just use the same filter without the quick connect and just use a clamp on it.
Does anyone know a Chevy dealer who has a website where I can look up parts?
Thanks again.

inafogg
04-10-2011, 11:15 PM
autozone.com

19jettadad97
04-10-2011, 11:27 PM
autozone.comYes, I see that one for $20 but how does it come off and go on to the fuel pump? Or even just the 90* piece instead of dropping the tank?

inafogg
04-11-2011, 12:57 PM
what piece broke??the q/c is the clear piece & what you need to push down to remove.if you broke the black piece then f/line needs to be replaced

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/800-058/image/2/ (http://www.automotiveforums.com/autozone/parts/Dorman-Fuel-Line-Assembly/2002-Chevrolet-Cavalier/_/N-jh4qpZ8ve3f?counter=0&itemIdentifier=238627_116464_13424_)
if you look there are 2 shoulders on the q/c these have to be pushed in
to clear the f/line.when the lines are installed/pushed on they will snap/lock into place.remove the old q/connector(clear piece)cut it, pull it out.then put a new 1 in & push the line on.it will lock in place
BTW for get a hose clamp it will leak,too much pressure

19jettadad97
04-11-2011, 02:59 PM
The piece that broke (The quick connect) doesn't look like this http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/98/chevrolet/cavalier/fuel_lines_hoses/nylon_fuel_repair_line_3_8.html?3593=44261 There is a metal piece to the line which the filter plugs into. There was a black plastic piece which sort of folded back over the metal piece. That's what snapped. I'm starting to think it's not an original line. If I could just change this line I'll be all set but how does it come off the pump and how does it attach back on? Does the brass piece in this link just plug into the pump with no clamp? Does it hold the pressure?
I asked before but, is there an access to the pump other then lowering the tank. Also, can the line be cut and add a piece of line to it somehow?
I hate having problems like this, I appreciate the help.

inafogg
04-11-2011, 03:39 PM
ok so your line does not look like the 1 in your post??
if it does'nt then you maybe right in thinking someone changed the set up
as far as removing f/pump there is no access hole, the tank needs to be removed
how ever i've heard of people making an access hole(cutting through the floor)
the f/line you show is a repair kit,so if you cut the section out & install the repair line you should be ok.why do you need to unhook line at the tank??is it leaking
any chance you can post a picture of

19jettadad97
04-11-2011, 04:14 PM
I can't get the filter out of the line b/c the Q-connect busted so I figure it's just as easy to change the whole line from the pump with a whole new OEM line. I just realized that is a "repair" line. So I guess I can just cut the line and add that Q connect with the adapter shown? Does the line just push into that connecter, and that holds the pressure? If so then it's just a 5 minute job and I'm worrying for nothing.

inafogg
04-11-2011, 04:22 PM
yes,you would cut the line,install the union,then the new repair line
sounds simple enough,but may be a pita to get the connector in the line
might what to lube before trying.

Good luck

19jettadad97
04-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. B/c I've never dealt with the high pressure it just doesn't sound right to just push the union into the line and have it hold pressure. I guess I'm living too much in the past, like the 70's, when things were simpler. Thanks again, I'll try it over the weekend.

inafogg
04-11-2011, 05:23 PM
hey i hear you,yes things have changed alot since the 70's when i started
good luck you should have the car ready before your daughter leaves

inafogg
04-11-2011, 05:45 PM
hey jettadad,does this look like the set upyou have??looking at the metal line on left side

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/03/ce/dc/large/0900c1528003cedc.gif

19jettadad97
04-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Nah, doesn't look like it at all. Actually I've never seen a line that looks like the one I have on the car, that's why I thought it was just for this car. The one on the right is what the new fuel filter looks like so that's how it's supposed to be. The previous owner must have had someone change that part of the line, although it looks like the original filter. I found some things on youtube to help me out on connecting it all up. Dorman has I nice kit with everything you can imagine but expensive, not good for one job. Now that I know more I'll get it all done with no problem, I hope. I can't say thanks enough. I asked about this on the Lexus forum I use but noone wanted to answer b/c it wasn't for my Lexus.

inafogg
04-11-2011, 07:02 PM
hey no problem,hope you get it
let us know
mike

Add your comment to this topic!