Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Top plastic rad pipe cracked, can It be fixed?

snoozin
04-10-2011, 03:35 PM
The top part of the rad that the rad hose clamps onto has cracked. Its all plastic. Epoxy has provided a temp fix (3 days) till I change the radiator.

Is there any solution to fixing this cracked plastic, like heating it up or fusing it back together somehow?
I don't really want to change the rad.

1996 trans sport

Is there a pressure spike in the coolant system on engine start up? Thats when the epoxy likes to let go after its been running awhile.

inafogg
04-10-2011, 04:23 PM
CRC makes an epoxy putty part #14071 i'v had good sucess with
might want to try before you replace radiator.
after its cured/dry you can sand,drilled.tapped.machined

Scrapper
04-10-2011, 04:44 PM
The top part of the rad that the rad hose clamps onto has cracked. Its all plastic. Epoxy has provided a temp fix (3 days) till I change the radiator.

Is there any solution to fixing this cracked plastic, like heating it up or fusing it back together somehow?
I don't really want to change the rad.

1996 trans sport

Is there a pressure spike in the coolant system on engine start up? Thats when the epoxy likes to let go after its been running awhile.

can i ask you how it cracked? and i agree with infog.

snoozin
04-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure, the van was given to me like this.
The crack is not on any part of cylinder part that the hose clamps to. Its next to it, or along side it.
I'm guessing since that rad hose is new, that the last person over tightened the clamp which cracked the plastic tube that its clamped to.

The mounting doesn't seem good, the rad is wobbly on that side.

I was thinking of heating up the cracked plastic with a small torch and just weaving the cracked plastic together. Good Idea? Or should I try another epoxy. I put on a whole tube of heat resistant permatex epoxy and it just wont hold long enough..

Scrapper
04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure, the van was given to me like this.
The crack is not on any part of cylinder part that the hose clamps to. Its next to it, or along side it.
I'm guessing since that rad hose is new, that the last person over tightened the clamp which cracked the plastic tube that its clamped to.

The mounting doesn't seem good, the rad is wobbly on that side.

I was thinking of heating up the cracked plastic with a small torch and just weaving the cracked plastic together. Good Idea? Or should I try another epoxy. I put on a whole tube of heat resistant permatex epoxy and it just wont hold long enough..

yes you could try that on welding plastic but before i'd go on long trip i would be looking for a rad. when they started out on plasic people would pressure test them and then they crack.

snoozin
04-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Will a rad from a 1997 Trans Sport fit in a 1996 Trans sport?

The guy selling the rad said: fits transport or a lumina van between a 1990 and 1995.

But i'm just wondering since it looks new and its cheap.

LMP
04-11-2011, 07:36 PM
There are various configuration for the transmisison and engine oil cooler loops in the side tanks. Verify athat when you look for a replacement

Scrapper
04-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Will a rad from a 1997 Trans Sport fit in a 1996 Trans sport?

The guy selling the rad said: fits transport or a lumina van between a 1990 and 1995.

But i'm just wondering since it looks new and its cheap. go on autozone.com see if same part number for that rad.

Add your comment to this topic!