Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Why wont my remote starter work!? HELP!!

woscarr
04-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi folks.

I installed a AS1200 auto starter in my 02 Silhouette and it wont start the van !? It tries to start it.. but nothing ? And it starting to drive me insane.

I have verified my connections over and over. 12v constant red&red/white.. check. Starter yellow, Ignition pink or white (tried both) and Accessories orange. I have verified the voltage across these wires while starting the van with the key and the auto starter = same results.

Only difference is when I try to start with the auto starter I am seeing 14v at the yellow(crank) wire but no crank !?? But when I do it with key I see the same 14v and it cranks !!??

Leaving the key in the ignition makes no difference still no auto start.

Now during my troubleshooting I did notice if when I try to remote start the van and when I hear the relay clicking in the auto starter unit and I move the key forward to accessory position she starts right up.

How's that for weirdness.

I have a dei555g sitting here ready to install but I don't think that's my problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Wayne

brcidd
04-09-2011, 05:05 PM
What are you using to defeat the anti-theft system? I'll bet your security light on instrument panel is flashing when remote starting, and goes off when starting with key.

Your Olds uses Passkey3 for an immobilizer (you should have a PK3 on the ignition key shank). You have to have a bypass module wired in to defeat this- your key has a transponder (RF transmitter) in it as well.

Check out the link below to help...

Wiring diagram and immobilizer defeat for remote starters (http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.asp)

woscarr
04-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Definitely the weirdest thing.. You would think with the key in the ignition it should work.

Well I did some more troubleshooting and think I could be onto something..

Here's something I noticed. On this auto starter there is only 1 ignition wire where as the van has 2. A pink one and a white one.

Well what I determined was when you put the key in the van there are 3 clicks forward before starting van. So moving the key to the first click energizes the white wire, and the third click energizes the pink wire (12v).

When I have the white wire connected to the auto starter and try to remote start and while attempting I move the key to the first click she starts ! Same thing happens when I have the pink wire connected only now I have to move the key to the third click position and she auto starts.

So in conclusion I think I need a relay for the second ignition wire for this van. My 98 Trans Sport also has the white wire but never needed it connected and it worked fine when the remote starter (as1200) was installed (last week) in that van. My ol' 98tsp didn't have pk3 system in it like this one dose.

So now to figure out how to install a relay for ignition #2 !

And got hung up trying to install the bypass module. I can't seem to get plastic cover off the steering column, took the two screws out but it still wont budge ?!?

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers
Wayne.

brcidd
04-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Your remote starter module should have more than one ignition output- and yes the white wire must be activated during remote start- as per the wiring diagram I linked you to.

And yes you can install a relay to activate the white wire only during remote start by using your ground while running (GWR) wire from the remote starter brain- but you will need to share that with the bypass module and you will need a diode to keep the relay from draining your battery overnight (the relay will attempt to draw current through the bypass module otherwise) - been there, done that.

The ignition switch plastic covers (upper and lower) snap apart after you remove all screws. It is also required to remove tilt wheel adjuster lever (just pull straight out on it) to allow plastic cover to come off.

woscarr
04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
All is working good now. Hooking up that 2nd ignition wire did the trick. My ol' auto starter didn't have a 2nd ignition out so I used a relay.

Funny how my 98 Trans sport has the exact wire harness as my 02 Silhouette (visually) and I only had the pink ignition wire connected and it worked but with the olds. I need the pink and white ignition wires connected for it to work.

Cheers.

Add your comment to this topic!