Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Jeep GC Brake Question

Jeeper1949
04-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Greetings,

My 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo needs some help. Here are the symptoms. When you apply the brake, sometimes the front wheels vibrate a lot this can be felt in the steering. Sometimes, when you apply the brake, it feels like the brakes are grabbing and thne letting go, but much less obvious than the case above. Lastly, when I turn left, there is a high pitched squeel sound.

I have had the jeep aligned and the breaks checked, but they say everything is fine. They provided that the bearings are fine and that they had run a run out check of the front calipers and found only a 0.005 run out. The front pads have 1/4 inch of material left.

I have 75,000 miles on the car and the tires wear very evenly. The front calipers were replaced at 10,000 miles and the front pads were replaced at 35,000 miles.

Does someone have an idea what is going on? :confused:

Thanks for your help!

fredjacksonsan
04-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Sounds like your brake rotors could be warped; is the vibration worse when you apply the brakes at higher speeds? You can sometimes feel the waviness of the rotor with your fingers - NOTE - don't check after driving, they'll be too hot to touch safely.

The solution is to have them turned, which means to say they are machined to remove a small amount of the surface and to leave each rotor smooth.

Add your comment to this topic!