Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 corolla electrical issue?

jetdriver
04-09-2011, 02:24 PM
I have a 94 corolla that starts and runs great. The issue is that while driving, it hesitates for a micro second like the ignition has been turned off then it is normal again. This happens during all segments of operation. It may happen while stopped at a light or while at cruise speed on the highway its does not matter if it is cold or warmed up. Again the car starts right up and runs great except for this occasional problem. The best way to describe it, is that it acts like someone pulls the coil wire and puts it back on instantaneously and it hiccups. Any ideas?

Brian R.
04-09-2011, 10:22 PM
If it were my car, I would replace the ignition coil. That is the weak spot in the ignition system, and it certainly is an ignition problem. If that didn't work, the next steps would be to replace the rotor and distributor cap, then the plug wires, etc. The parts are not too expensive to try new ones, at least in my mind. Good luck.

Let the engine idle in a dark garage and see if you can see any ignition spark arcing. It might clue you where the problem is.

Add your comment to this topic!