Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cavalier Won't start?

cavfirst
04-09-2011, 01:51 PM
I been through a million threads about Cavalier not starting and no solutions. My wife's Cavalier is a 5 speed manual with new battery already. Turn the key to on, all dash lights come on. Turn key to run all dash lights still on as well as headlights working fine. I hear absolutely nothing. Avance auto guy tested the wires going down to the starter and said no signal is getting down there. Between the ignition switch and the starter, what is it to make it not do nothing?

inafogg
04-09-2011, 02:44 PM
there is a fusible link in the wire ''S'' PURPLE @ the starter solinoid
it maybe blown. what year is the car?????

cavfirst
04-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Its a 1996.

inafogg
04-09-2011, 03:01 PM
,there is a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box 50a you can check

cavfirst
04-09-2011, 03:59 PM
,there is a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box 50a you can check

The fuses checked out good.

inafogg
04-09-2011, 05:48 PM
check the cluch switch 12v @ yellow wire. if jumped to the purple wire
this should by-pass switch.either ck the purple wire for volt w/clutch pushed in
or jump the switch

cavfirst
04-09-2011, 05:54 PM
check the cluch switch 12v @ yellow wire. if jumped to the purple wire
this should by-pass switch.either ck the purple wire for volt w/clutch pushed in
or jump the switch

Where is the clutch switch located?

inafogg
04-09-2011, 06:06 PM
under the dash clutch pedal. if you look at the clutch pedal when pushing it down you will see the switch.should also click(i think)
you may need to remove the hush panel to see up under there
should be lots of room!!!!!NOT!!!

cavfirst
04-09-2011, 06:28 PM
under the dash clutch pedal. if you look at the clutch pedal when pushing it down you will see the switch.should also click(i think)
you may need to remove the hush panel to see up under there
should be lots of room!!!!!NOT!!!

I don't know how to jump any switches. Its a 7.00 part so if I can see it, i can take it out. Can't be tougher then the blend door on my 04 impala, that was a pita.

inafogg
04-09-2011, 06:40 PM
just see if you have 12v if you have a meter handy(12v yellow wire)
not sure how they are mounted in.
should be just 2 wires Y & PPL
Good luck

mcmalloy
04-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Check this web page it may help, had the same problem after i replaced a battery in a 96

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/chevrolet-cavalier-1996-chevy-cavalier-passlock-theft-system

cavfirst
04-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Check this web page it may help, had the same problem after i replaced a battery in a 96

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/chevrolet-cavalier-1996-chevy-cavalier-passlock-theft-system

It is the Clutch Pedal Ignition Lock Switch. $7.41 from Auto Zone. I disconnected the wire harness from the old one put on the new one in my hand, press the switch and turned the ignition. Car started. Got the old switch out with some effort but cannot get the new one on that bracket behind the clutch pedal. How in the world to get it on the bracket?

OdinStrife
06-05-2011, 05:05 AM
first you need to check the steering colum, I had this same issue with a toyota camry, make sure nothing is damager along those wires, use a test light and make sure that the auto guy is correct, they are good... but not perfect. If the starter is indeed not getting power u have two options, either find the issue which may be a relay, shorted wire or a simple fuse, another thing to check is your battery terminals, if they are dirty/corroded you can have enough power for light etc but not enough to start. Your second option involve instaling a push button start, not to pricey or difficult but its not the "proper" way to fix the issue.

Add your comment to this topic!