Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.


95 Escort Monroe Quick Struts


dlbdata
04-07-2011, 07:01 AM
I just ordered a couple Monroe Quick Struts for the rear, since I had 2 broken springs. I have 1 side removed and trying to install the new quick strut, but I'm having a tough time trying to get the spindle holes to line up with the strut holes. The top of the spindle is rotated out & to high up, but it seems almost impossible to get it in position. Any tips on how to get this done?

denisond3
04-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I took the brake drum off, so I could slide a length of pipe over the end of the axle, to lever it up, moving the strut mounting holes closer into position. I also had a long steel pipe I was using to push the rear axle (and the spindle) down a little bit. Then I was able to get the end of a tapered 'line-up-tool" through one of the holes in the strut and the spindle. From there I used a larger tapered item (the business end of a rock hammer) I had, to get the holes lined up so the original sized bolts could go back in.
I bought a set of the line up tools and small diameter 'pin punches' years ago in a Sears store. They have been very useful.

zzyzzx2
04-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Pics? I do not remember having any trouble with this.

dlbdata
04-16-2011, 04:27 AM
........Then I was able to get the end of a tapered 'line-up-tool" through one of the holes in the strut and the spindle. From there I used a larger tapered item (the business end of a rock hammer) I had, to get the holes lined up so the original sized bolts could go back in.
I bought a set of the line up tools and small diameter 'pin punches' years ago in a Sears store. They have been very useful.

I eventually muscled it into position with all my weight/strength while someone else tried to slide the bottom bolt in place. Once we got the bottom bolt in, I jacked underneath the drum (with block of wood) which rotated the to hole into position. It's an easy job other than trying to line the bottom mounting holes up. Yes I could see how the tapered line-up tool would have been helpful.... Best part of the whole project, one of the struts they sent me had the spring mounted wrong. I got a free upgrade from the EconoMatic to the SensaTrac model.

Add your comment to this topic!