Rear Brake Pads

Bear
04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Grandson's 2005 Grand Prix GT and we are attempting to change rear brake pads. First attempt we were sold wrong pads (seems there are a couple of sets based on suspension, FE4 ).Now that we have the correct pads, how do we seat the piston in the caliper, it does not work with a "C" clamp and the piston has two "V" shaped cutouts 180 degrees apart, do I need a special tool to screw the piston in, also is there a correct alignment for the "V" shaped cutouts, maybe ta 6 and 12. All information greatly appreciated (sooner we get her fixed, sooner I get my car back).

dondeere
04-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Tool is required, turn as you push slightly. Align notches so that pad sits flat (look at back of pad). Auto parts store will have tool. Check park brake function before road test.

Bear
04-07-2011, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the quick response. Looks like the notches go at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. I assume front pads and piston are conventional where piston just pushes in (no tool required).

dondeere
04-07-2011, 06:00 AM
This is normal for GM products with rear disc brakes, since 80's? ( i am starting to feel old now).

richtazz
04-07-2011, 09:36 AM
you can retract that rear caliper piston without the special tool. A set of needle-nose pliers will do the job. Insert the plier jaw tips into the grooves, push inward first to release the spring tension, then turn. Sometimes it helps to have an assistant pull the e-brake cable lever as you do if it gives you trouble.

Bear
04-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Again thanks for the help. I bit the bullet and went to
Advance and borrowed their tool set. I have now done the rear brakes (I figure it is my grandson's car but he has mine and the sooner the job is done the sooner I get my car back). Another thing I told my grandson (he is 28) is that the rear pistons retract a lot easier if you take the parking brake off. :-)

Add your comment to this topic!