Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1/20 Mclaren MP4/? Senna, which Senna MP4 is better? Recommended kit, Tamiya or Fujimi?

Zonic2001
04-06-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm planning on building my first car... being working with motos all this time, and will like to know which of the McLaren MP4 that Senna drove is better and why? Also, I like to know the difference between a Tamiya and Fujimi kits. Which one has better details, more realistic? In addition, which version of the MP4 has more aftermarket upgrades, if someone knows. When I build I use as many aftermarket parts to enhance the look of the normal model kit hence my last question.

Ogryn
04-06-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm currently finishing my build of the Tamiya mp4/5b. It's a good kit, all the basic engine detail is there, but it could use some wiring and carbon fiber decals to make it look great.

If historical accuracy is your aim, from my research, the kit has a few errors. The end plates on the front wing seem to be from the mp4/5 from 1989 season instead of the mp4/5b from 1990, and the rear diffuser is modeled after a very early version of the car, the one used through most of the season was smaller.
Also, the fluorescent red is nearly impossible to match to the real thing. I went with the Tamiya ts36 like the instructions call for, and it's way too orange. Zero paints makes an mp4 red which I wish I had used, because it looks like a perfect match.

I don't have the mp4/4, but it seems to have a bit more engine detail (maybe because of all the turbo piping). The mp4/4 is also a much more historically significant car, it absolutely dominated the 1988 season and won all but one race. It is also Senna's first championship car, and the last of the turbo F1 cars.

Neither of these Tamiya cars has the Marlboro sponsor decals, and the newer re-issues of the kits (in the black boxes) don't have the Goodyear decals either. That's not a big problem though, since aftermarket sets are easily available. I found a great set for cheap on ebay for my mp4/5b.

As for reference photos, I could hardly find anything on the mp4/5b, but some of the people on here are incredible at finding reference photos (I'm not sure why I didn't ask, lol).

I didn't use any detail sets on my car, so I didn't do any research on that. I would bet that the mp4/4 has more sets though, because it's a more historical and well known car. I'm sure someone else here has that info.

So in summary,
- good detail on both kits (as far as i could tell)
- some small inaccuracies in the mp4/5b kit (can't vouch for the mp4/4)
- matching the fluorescent red it an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE (get the Zero paint if you can)
- needs aftermarket decals to be completely correct

They're good kits, just watch out for the fluorescent red.

Add your comment to this topic!