Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 buick lesabre computer swap

cjbober
04-03-2011, 08:55 AM
My neighbor has purchased a used 2000 bk lesabre to have some extra parts. he tried swapping the computer from the parts car into his and nothing, no lights power nothing. WHat could be the problem? does the computer need to be reset or something? His old computer was workinh but mechanic told him he need a new computer. When he puts the old computer in it starts. The computer fromt he parts car works fine when it is in the parts car. any help is appreciated.

Scrapper
04-03-2011, 09:39 AM
[quote=cjbober;6886729]My neighbor has purchased a used 2000 bk lesabre to have some extra parts. he tried swapping the computer from the parts car into his and nothing, no lights power nothing. WHat could be the problem? does the computer need to be reset or something? His old computer was workinh but mechanic told him he need a new computer. When he puts the old computer in it starts. The computer fromt he parts car works fine when it is in the parts car. any help is appreciated.[/quote
you can try resetting it by taking neg cable off for about 15 mins. and hook it back up but the computer may not fit that car or it's fried say way with park avenue you have the 3.8 or 3800 there the same moter but when you looked under there car hood the alt. was diffirent. so your may be diffirent on computer.

auto trainy
04-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Did he swap the E-Prom?

cjbober
04-03-2011, 07:43 PM
He has the 3.8 in both vehicles. He did notice that the number on the computers were different but besides that it is the same motor and vehicle.

I am not sure what the e-prom is? I know he replaced the throttle body and then he wanted to switch computer infront of the air cleaner. I can ask him tomorrow for more info.

tempfixit
04-03-2011, 07:53 PM
He has the 3.8 in both vehicles. He did notice that the number on the computers were different but besides that it is the same motor and vehicle.

I am not sure what the e-prom is? I know he replaced the throttle body and then he wanted to switch computer infront of the air cleaner. I can ask him tomorrow for more info.

E-prom is inside the computer, you need to remove the cover and you will see the eprom.

cjbober
04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
So I should have him swap the e-prom from his computer into the donor computer?

tempfixit
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
So I should have him swap the e-prom from his computer into the donor computer?

Yes use eprom from original computer.

Here is a link to what a eprom looks like:

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Hypertech/Performance-Chips/Buick-Regal-Hypertech-Street-Runner-Eprom-Power-Chip-_-Stage-2/799561/

cjbober
04-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks. I am going to see him tomorrow and try in on Tuesday. I will let you know what happens.

HotZ28
04-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Sorry, but the 2000 LeSabre PCM (computer) is a "flash" download PCM, which does not contain a "chip" or prom!

auto trainy
04-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Sorry for my ignorance,I didn't mean to open up a can of worms,so is there a way to reset or flash this pcm?

tempfixit
04-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Sorry for my ignorance,I didn't mean to open up a can of worms,so is there a way to reset or flash this pcm?

ANy idea what year they started flashing the ecm versus transferring eproms?

HotZ28
04-04-2011, 09:13 PM
ANy idea what year they started flashing the ecm versus transferring eproms?1996 was the first year of the OBDII which requires a "flash program." Some cars from 1996-up have updated and revised flash programs which require a download from a TechII scan tool, or someone who has the factory updates. Click Here (http://stores.ebay.com/SpareECM/Buick-Car-Engine-Computers-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=259518018&_sid=32846098&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2) for one of the best options. BTW, if your particular car is not listed, send them the VIN & year, and they will find you one & program it to your VIN, with the latest updates! :grinyes:

Why buy your spare PCM from us? You will be purchasing a high quality used PCM. You get free Flash programming with every OBDII GM computer purchased. OBDII type computers have the “chip” imbedded into the PCM and it is not removable. The calibration file per the application is “Flashed,” or reprogrammed using a software package and a pass through device. The “chip” is no longer removed for programming. Proper programming is essential when replacing a PCM whether it is a used PCM or a remanufactured PCM. A used GM computer will have the software installed that pertains to the original vehicle that it was removed from. In some cases, GM OBDII type computers will interchange with many different vehicles including those with different engine and transmission configurations. However, unless the computer is programmed with the correct software it won’t function properly upon installation. We will flash program the computer purchased from us with your specific VIN number for the latest updated calibrations available for a stock calibration. This is important to ensure specific vehicle programming and to guarantee flawless performance in your vehicle.

Add your comment to this topic!