'96 Corsica- Can't remove brake drums?

laserdog
04-02-2011, 11:59 AM
HI there- I have a '96 Corsica with ABS and I can't figure out how to get the rear brake drums off. Normally there's an access hole so I can loosen the hand brake and adjuster to back off the shoes so it'll slide off. There is no access hole on these brakes- either on the drum or on the backing plate.

I've tried liquid wrench, tapping, rapping and pounding on both the drum and backing plate and the drum doesn't seem to loosen- not even a bit.

I can't figure out how to get them off. Maybe this is associated with the ABS system? Never had this problem before.

Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated!

laserdog

dorfboy
04-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Hmmm...when I run into this problem, I will use two good size flat blade screw drivers or prybars, one on each size. Place them between the backing plate and the brake drum and just work each bar back and forth. If that dores not work, pull back towards you with one bar and slowly work the other one back and forth. This should pop it loose. The centers on these usually rust to the center of the wheel hub. You will see the drum flex a little bit when you do this, but do not worry, it will pop back

laserdog
04-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Hmmm...when I run into this problem, I will use two good size flat blade screw drivers or prybars, one on each size. Place them between the backing plate and the brake drum and just work each bar back and forth. If that dores not work, pull back towards you with one bar and slowly work the other one back and forth. This should pop it loose. The centers on these usually rust to the center of the wheel hub. You will see the drum flex a little bit when you do this, but do not worry, it will pop back

Hi there- sorry for my slow response, I had to run out of town for a couple days.

OK I'll try your screwdriver approach. I don't want to bend the backing plate, but I may do some good with the flexing. I may try heating the hub followed by beating and flexing. When this doesn't work I may try exorcism...

Thanks for your help!
laserdog

dorfboy
04-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Do not heat the brake drum!!! That would be a bad idea. If you do that and get it too hot you will warp it and will have to get new ones. It could do damage to the brake shoes, the brake shoes have a special glue that helps bond them to the metal, along with the rubber boots/seals around the wheel cylinders. Definately not a good idea. Just flex the drums back and forth with the two prybars and hit the center with a hammer. It will eventually come off. Just have patience.

Add your comment to this topic!