Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need advice on EGR Valve

RangerJ
04-01-2011, 09:04 PM
1999 Chev Malibu auto 3.1,Check engine light came on Advance checked it and said EGR Valve. I am going to try to clean it before buying a new one.My question is Is it very difficult to reach and remove? And how is the best way to clean one? Hope this is enough info. Thanks

ChaseMark
04-01-2011, 11:45 PM
There should be steps in your manual as to how to reach and replace your EGR valve. Should be easy enough. If it has holes in it, you may have to replace it. If not, then you can clean it by spraying carburetor cleaner into the valve. Wait for some time and then try scraping out the build up inside. You might want to get a second opinion on all this.

RangerJ
04-01-2011, 11:47 PM
There should be steps in your manual as to how to reach and replace your EGR valve. Should be easy enough. If it has holes in it, you may have to replace it. If not, then you can clean it by spraying carburetor cleaner into the valve. Wait for some time and then try scraping out the build up inside. You might want to get a second opinion on all this.

Thanks Chase for your reply, I quickly thumbed through the manual and didn't see anything.

67malibu
04-03-2011, 07:12 AM
I have a 99 with a 3.1L. It's the easiest EGR valve to get to. Pop off the electrical connector then two bolts. It sits on the very top of the engine, one the of only easy things to take off. As far as cleaning, a small brush (like a test tube brush) and a aerosol brake cleaner work for me. I cleaned mine twice and got 240K out of it before it got the point I couldn't revive it. Just make sure the pindle moves freely when you're done. The gasket usually but not always remains intact.

RangerJ
04-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks 67, I got the valve off and cleaned it, soaked and scrubbed for a while also cleaned the port in the manifold. Still couldn't get the check engine light off by disconnecting the battery.Have to get someone with a scanner.Thanks again

Add your comment to this topic!