Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Le Sabre Hard Start

nhra78
03-31-2011, 06:03 AM
I have a 2002 Le Sabre that I rebuilt from a salvage title about 60K miles ago. The car has 106k now. Sometimes it starts normal other times it will crank and not start. Other times it will start and die immediately then restart fine. It has never not started (yet). I thought I heard a clunk in the trunk and the car changed idle once. So I changed the fuel sending unit with a salvage yard one. Same symptoms. The car runs perfectly fine dowm the road no missing or anything. There is no check engine light on and it has never turned on the check engine or service engine light. Going to replace the fuel filter tonight. Any other ideas?

HotZ28
03-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Check to see if the security light is on continuously when it cranks, but will not start.

nhra78
03-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Check to see if the security light is on continuously when it cranks, but will not start.

I checked, the security light is not on while cranking. Sometimes it will not start until you let go of the key from the start to on position. I thought maybe the battery was weak (its the original) but it load tested fine. Its definately getting worse. It started to happen about a year ago then it totally went away and now its back. I love intermittent problems.:confused:

Scrapper
03-31-2011, 10:00 AM
I have a 2002 Le Sabre that I rebuilt from a salvage title about 60K miles ago. The car has 106k now. Sometimes it starts normal other times it will crank and not start. Other times it will start and die immediately then restart fine. It has never not started (yet). I thought I heard a clunk in the trunk and the car changed idle once. So I changed the fuel sending unit with a salvage yard one. Same symptoms. The car runs perfectly fine dowm the road no missing or anything. There is no check engine light on and it has never turned on the check engine or service engine light. Going to replace the fuel filter tonight. Any other ideas?

on the check engine lite you could try resetting computer by neg cable of battery for abount 15mins. if its on i recomend you take it to autozone for a free test.

tempfixit
03-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Have you ever checked for codes?? I would check for codes to see if there are any PENDING codes that might be helpful.

Have you checked the ignition switch since you need to at times let go of the switch in the start to run position before it will start??

nhra78
03-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Have you ever checked for codes?? I would check for codes to see if there are any PENDING codes that might be helpful.

Have you checked the ignition switch since you need to at times let go of the switch in the start to run position before it will start??

I have not checked for codes since there was not a check engine light on. Have not checked the ignition switch. I will scan for codes when I get home tonight.

nhra78
04-01-2011, 05:31 AM
I have not checked for codes since there was not a check engine light on. Have not checked the ignition switch. I will scan for codes when I get home tonight.

No codes. I don't know if the starter steals juice from the coils while starting or not but I may try a different battery even though mine tests OK its still 10 yrs old.

brcidd
04-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Put a test light on coil 12v input- see if it is lit in both "start" and "run" positions-- sounds like a bad ignition switch if it is not lit in start position.

Add your comment to this topic!