Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Rodeo Intermittent Starting Problem

FastJack
03-29-2011, 12:18 PM
MY 3.2, manual transmission Rodeo has recently developed a starting issue. When I turn the key the starter always engages as it should. The engine will either fire immediatley or not at all no matter how long I continue to crank the engine. Sometimes I have to turn it on and off 8 or 9 times to get the engine to fire. Once started it runs fine until turned off. My immediate thought is the ignition switch is failing but before I go that route any ideas?

Thanks

amigo-2k
03-29-2011, 05:18 PM
try this for the next week. Turn the key to the accessory on position. put on your seat belt. Turn up the radio ... then start the truck.

This extra 10 seconds will give the truck enough time to figure out where the crank-position sensor is at so it can fire correctly and will allow the fuel pump to prime the fuel pressure regulator.

Try it for a week and then report back ....

FastJack
03-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Will do. Thanks!

FastJack
04-15-2011, 11:31 AM
It's been over a week but I didn't get to drive it much. Sunday I started it up 10 times in a row in the driveway and then drove it about an hour. Let it set for two hours and then turned the key on for at least 10 seconds before starting. Took 6 tries before it fired up.

FastJack
04-18-2011, 11:19 AM
The last few times I have tried your strategy it has worked. I don't know what the deal was on my previous reply. So if the "wait ten seconds" approach works what is the next step.

Thanks,

Jack

amigo-2k
04-19-2011, 06:40 PM
It could be the crank position sensor or the fuel pressure regulator is faulty.

You may want to try to post this on planetisuzoo.com (there are lots of isuzu folks there and a couple of Isuzu techs).

Add your comment to this topic!