Gen to alt swap 62 Impala

itsandre
03-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey everybody, new here and hoping to finaly find the help I need with my 1962 Impala.
I have converted the old Gen and VR to an internal reg alternator. I'm having a bit of a time trying to figure out what to do with the old wireing. At the VR there are 3 terminals. One red, two browns and one dark blue.
Inorder to bypass the reg. what do I need to do with the wires left from the old VR and Gen? I know some are obsolite but obviously some I need to do something with to enrgise the system.
I am electricaly chalanged and need to know this in easy terms like twist this wire with that one.
I'm guessing the red one is all I need to be concerned about. I think I need to go back to the Bat+ side but not sure. I don't want to burn wires trying to figure it out.
The alternator I have already wired up and that was simple but now what wire does what and which ones do I need is the big question.

Anyone have the same issue and has done this before I would really aprecciate some advice from you or anyone who would know what to do.

Thanks in advance and awaiting help:sly:.

rhandwor
03-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Hey everybody, new here and hoping to finaly find the help I need with my 1962 Impala.
I have converted the old Gen and VR to an internal reg alternator. I'm having a bit of a time trying to figure out what to do with the old wireing. At the VR there are 3 terminals. One red, two browns and one dark blue.
Inorder to bypass the reg. what do I need to do with the wires left from the old VR and Gen? I know some are obsolite but obviously some I need to do something with to enrgise the system.
I am electricaly chalanged and need to know this in easy terms like twist this wire with that one.
I'm guessing the red one is all I need to be concerned about. I think I need to go back to the Bat+ side but not sure. I don't want to burn wires trying to figure it out.
The alternator I have already wired up and that was simple but now what wire does what and which ones do I need is the big question.

Anyone have the same issue and has done this before I would really aprecciate some advice from you or anyone who would know what to do.

In a worse case go to google search self exciting alternator. Just hook up big wire.
You might also search alternator wiring for pictures.

MT-2500
03-30-2011, 08:07 AM

Big terminal on alternator needs to be wired to battery pos.
With a heavey gauge capable of carrying you alt output amps.

No 1 on alternater needs to be wired to the wire from red alt red light or threw a small light bulb for a alternator engrizer.

No 2 on alt needs to be jumped to the big battery pos wire on alt.

On the old regulator remove any ign wires to it and wiring for old generator.
Or just remove all wires and tape up ends good.

Let us know how it goes.

j cAT
04-02-2011, 06:38 PM
the alternator output wire to the battery needs a fuseable link/fuse.

If the alternator internally shorts out this will protect the vehicle from burning up..go to a scrap yard and take a wire from the alternator to the battery it should have the fuseable link in it...

with most alternators you will need field excitation. this is the small connector with 2 wires that would go to the dash ammeter/light circuit.

1962 was a long time ago when I worked these but the wiring is simple ..you need a diagram to do this correctly..

the other route as mentioned is getting a self excited alternator. this uses a internal magnet to excite the alternator to produce power..however these are usually less than 80 amps output..I think your vehicle ran with 60 amps...not much electrical power needed with this model.

Add your comment to this topic!