Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 JGC Ball Joints

JimW1999
03-28-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm looking at upper and lower on both sides. Wondering if anyone has done them and could offer me some advice. I have a single car garage and am concerned the axle won't clear the wall when I try to pull them. Does the axle go all the way to the differential? It's definately longer on one side than the other.
How about the press, I see the basic OTC on amazon and there's one on Harbor Freight but I've read that there might be a special adapter required on the Jeeps.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

Last time I did ball joints was in a 68 Chevelle, a hammer heat got the lower out and some dry ice got 'em in. The upper on the Jeep look like a press is a must.

Thanks,

Jim

jeep2002
04-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I would use a quality press for the joints. The ones from HF will bend. There is a special cup for the joints on the JGC's. If you look at the lower arms, you will see a slight angle or slope causing the joint to sit more flush on on side versus the other. There is a cup that has that angle cut to allow the joint to be removed/replaced easily without it getting cocked to one side.

Add your comment to this topic!