Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

0442 code and vacuum leak

Johnny R
03-27-2011, 11:54 PM
99 Malibu LS 3.1L
I've had the engine light on for quite a while, and it always shows the 0442 code (small EVAP leak). As well, the car needs quite a bit of cranking to start, whereas when I got it, to started in a flash.
Over time my shop has replaced Air idle control valve, ERG valve, Throttle position sensor, Intake air temp sensor, gas cap, and GM dealer did the intake gasket manifold. All tune ups and oil changes have been done on or ahead of schedule.

> Apart from being an irritant, would this 0442 code reduce my gas mileage?
> Where would I start looking for the vacuum hoses?
> Would it be best to have the shop do a fog test? I don't like trial and error.

rkvons
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
99 Malibu LS 3.1L
I've had the engine light on for quite a while, and it always shows the 0442 code (small EVAP leak). As well, the car needs quite a bit of cranking to start, whereas when I got it, to started in a flash.
Over time my shop has replaced Air idle control valve, ERG valve, Throttle position sensor, Intake air temp sensor, gas cap, and GM dealer did the intake gasket manifold. All tune ups and oil changes have been done on or ahead of schedule.

> Apart from being an irritant, would this 0442 code reduce my gas mileage?
> Where would I start looking for the vacuum hoses?
> Would it be best to have the shop do a fog test? I don't like trial and error.
Did you ever solve this problem with your car? My son's '98 is exhibiting similar symptoms and I've been nominated to solve them. Thanks.

Johnny R
04-26-2011, 09:30 PM
@rkvons - I thought "Wonderful, a reply at last, after my question was up for exactly 1 month." Alas, no reply. :)
I'm still driving under the same conditions. I must say though, it's a great car, after the initial 4 years.

rkvons
06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Just an FYI. I went to a junk yard and pulled an EVAP purge solenoid off of a similar car and swapped the one on my son's vehicle and the small vacuum leak went away. The EVAP purge solenoid is located behind the coil pack with a couple of vacuum hoses and one electrical connection going to it.

Johnny R
06-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks for that info. Are these things hard to pull off? I saw a video where a guy had to get under a Saturn to access the solenoid, and then there hardly seemed room to pull the wire and vacuum tubes.
From your description it sounds as if it is on the top, against the firewall?

oldblu65
06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
The first thing that should be checked when getting a P0442 code is a defective or loose gas cap . If you have either condition , it will trigger this code . This is a cheap part and easily replaced regardless of one's mechanical experience or expertise ! After replacing the cap ( making sure the cap is tightened until it clicks three times ) , the " check engine " light on the dash likely won't go off immediately but should in a few days . If not , there may be other more major problems but the gas cap should always be checked first . In my state , part of the emissions testing is to remove the gas cap and put it into a machine that tests it to ensure the cap is functional ! If not , they require you to replace it before you can pass the emission test .

rkvons
06-14-2011, 12:49 PM
The first thing that should be checked when getting a P0442 code is a defective or loose gas cap . If you have either condition , it will trigger this code . This is a cheap part and easily replaced regardless of one's mechanical experience or expertise ! After replacing the cap ( making sure the cap is tightened until it clicks three times ) , the " check engine " light on the dash likely won't go off immediately but should in a few days . If not , there may be other more major problems but the gas cap should always be checked first . In my state , part of the emissions testing is to remove the gas cap and put it into a machine that tests it to ensure the cap is functional ! If not , they require you to replace it before you can pass the emission test .
Yes, thanks, already did the gas cap.

rkvons
06-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for that info. Are these things hard to pull off? I saw a video where a guy had to get under a Saturn to access the solenoid, and then there hardly seemed room to pull the wire and vacuum tubes.
From your description it sounds as if it is on the top, against the firewall?
It's on top, towards back of engine. It's kind of a weird bracket that it goes in. The solenoid has slots that fit over the bracket and will require some twisting to get it off. Start from the passenger side. Oh, and I've just been told that the CEL came back on, so I'll have to read the code and see what's up. Maybe I haven't fixed it after all.

Johnny R
06-15-2011, 11:28 PM
I was about to leave for the pick-ur-part when I read that your CEL was back on. Thanks for the post. It's a bit like trying to catch a mouse isn't it.

rkvons
09-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Does anybody know how often the EVAP tests are run on a 1998 Malibu LS with a 3.1? I know that the charcoal canister is purged, but how often? I've read that the computer makes a decision about whether to run tests based on how the vehicle is being used. If someone could shed light on this, it would be great. I do something the may fix the problem, and I don't see the CEL light go on for a few days of driving. Then it goes on. Could it be that the fault is so marginal it sometimes is passing? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Tech II
09-15-2011, 08:58 PM
They are run every time the car is started and run, ONCE the criteria for running them are met.........

Some factors are coolant temp, time, load, etc.

If all the criteria are not met, the test isn't run.....if the test fails, in some cases it turns the CE light on right away....in some cases, it has to fail on two CONSECUTIVE drive cycles....so, say it fails on a drive cycle....next drive cycle it doesn't even run(because criteria are not met)....next drive cycle it fails, but the CE light does not come on, because it didn't fail for TWO CONSECUTIVE drive cycles...or the next cycle it could pass, and still the light won't come on, because it didn't fail two cycles in a row......

rxl650
10-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Johnny R and rkvons-

Did either of you solve your problem? I'm also getting the dreaded P0442 code after 177k (2003 Malibu). I've reset the code twice and the code stays off for a couple of weeks then comes back. I've replaced the gas cap but no fix after 300 miles. It looks like others have had issues with the EVAP purge solenoid and Vent solenoids. Any ideas?

Thanks
RXL650

Johnny R
10-05-2011, 08:54 PM
No, I've never resolved the problem. Now it also takes quite a while to crank before it will start. That's embarrassing when I'm with my friends.

Tech II
10-06-2011, 07:12 AM
P0442 is a small leak....it could be anywhere.....only a smoke test will find it....

As for your extended crank, try this....turn key to on, then shut off....wait five seconds....turn key to on, then turn key off.....wait 5 seconds and then try and start....if it starts better, then possible check valve in the fuel pump or restricted fuel filter....

Johnny R
10-08-2011, 08:59 PM
@ Tech II - thanks for the idea. I like the process of elimination. But starting did not improve with your tip.

rkvons
10-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Johnny R and rkvons-

Did either of you solve your problem? I'm also getting the dreaded P0442 code after 177k (2003 Malibu). I've reset the code twice and the code stays off for a couple of weeks then comes back. I've replaced the gas cap but no fix after 300 miles. It looks like others have had issues with the EVAP purge solenoid and Vent solenoids. Any ideas?

Thanks
RXL650
No, still have not resolved it. Took it to a shop and the first thing they did was check the gas cap and it was loose. From their point of view, they were done. I wanted to strangle my son's girlfriend, who put gas in it last. We had to have some training on how to put a gas cap on. It only took about 20 minutes. Not a big deal. Had to wait a while for the code to come back on. They looked at it again and said the charcoal canister was saturated with gas, so I provided another one and they installed it for me for free. They also said that they did not trust the gas cap unless it was a genuine GM. I went and bought one from the dealer and put that on. This was Saturday. I am now waiting to see if the code comes back. The shop said the next time they will have to drop the tank. They acknowledged that they did not have a smoke machine. I was disappointed to hear that.

rkvons
10-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Well I solved my version of this problem. I stumbled across a video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXW778JyV4
So I went to the junk yard and found a like-new filler neck off of a 2003 Malibu. There's a rubber hose that connects the filler neck with the fuel tank. The connection between the filler neck and the rubber hose was rusty, even with a hose clamp on it. So I took the rubber hose completely off of the vehicle and cleaned the inside. There were pieces of rusty metal stuck on the inside surface. I used some GM solvent to wipe it carefully with a shop rag. Then I put it back together with the newer filler neck and the code never came back. The car was tested at a vehicle emission test facility and passed! It is a pretty easy fix.

Johnny R
10-30-2011, 07:43 PM
....Then I put it back together with the newer filler neck and the code never came back.
How long ago did you replace the filler neck?

rkvons
10-31-2011, 11:59 AM
How long ago did you replace the filler neck?
11 days ago. I did use a code reader to verify that the EVAP monitor was satisfied. After that, the car was tested at an emission testing facility and passed.

Johnny R
10-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks. Eleven days sounds like a pretty good fix.

rxl650
11-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Here is an update on my 0442 code issue. I checked all the vacuum lines and anything else that looked bad, but could not find anything wrong. I drove the car for a couple thousand more miles and no problems until the air temperature got warm. Started the car and it was running rough but wouldn't trip a code. After rolling down the driveway a couple of feet the motor was smooth. No problem driving that day. Next morning, same rough start but it would clear after putting it in drive. Still no check engine light tripped. After a couple days, I noticed that it would only idle rough when the air temp was warm and the motor cold. Finally took it to a shop I trusted. They hooked it up to their computer after sitting for 12 hours and saw a cylinder one misfire that cleared after a couple of seconds. Pressurized the cooling system, pulled plug 1 and put a scope down it. They saw wetness and guessed that either the head gasket was going or a lower intake manifold gasket was going. Since the car had 179, 319 miles, needed new tires (108,247 miles on them) and had the start of a cooling leak it was time for it to be traded in. Dealer gave me $1,200 in trade.

Add your comment to this topic!