97 Eclipse RS Dies Sometimes At Idle And Sometimes While Accellerating But Keeps Running

bdela005
03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
97 Eclipse RS
No Mods Automatic Transmission

Smokes white sometimes but dont think its related.
No Codes No Check Engine Light On
Replaced All sensors on top side of motor
cleaned throttle body
replaced wires plugs and coil pack
replaced the valve idle air control

my next guess is the speed control sensor but no problems with the speedometer...???

Car will stall sometimes in park or drive while at traffic lights or driveway.
Car will stall out while accellerating and check engine light will blink 1 time with stall, but then jerk back and continue to run AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. this is not an all the time problem

When car is not stalling which is 95% of the time it runs perfect with a slight puff of white smoke every now and again because of a small oil burning issue in motor which i believe is unrelated.. but has caused some of the sensors to get a little dirty.
PLEASE THIS IS MY WIFES CAR AND WE CANNOT AFFORD TO KEEP REPLACING THIS AND THAT IE SENSORS THAT ARENT FIXING PROBLEM.
Friend wants to put on a scanner and monitor real time but that wont be for a few weeks. THANKS

Blackcrow64
03-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Did you replace the PCV valve? Sounds like the same symptoms I faced once with my Firebird and that's what the problem was.

Cavalier9696
03-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Could the computer be doing that?

bdela005
03-30-2011, 06:01 PM
yes i have replaced pcv no change

Blackcrow64
03-30-2011, 07:52 PM
I wish some of the 420a motor guys would chime in here. I don't really know as much about that motor as I should... Other things to consider checking would be vacuum leaks, dry rotted seals such as injector seals... Have you tried another MAF sensor to eliminate that being the problem? I'm just throwing a few extra things out there since you covered all the basic checks already.

Add your comment to this topic!