01 2500 5.9L fuel gauge problem?

70camaro
03-27-2011, 12:32 PM
I just bought an 01 2500 with the cummings 5.9 and auto trans.
Not five min. after I dropped 11 grand and drove it off the lot it died! No Lie! I thought I just made sucker of the year! Anyway, we decided to pour 5 gals. of fuel in, even though the gauge said 3/4 full. Well, after a few min. of cranking and a little help from the ether bottle it started and ran fine. Went directly to the gas station and put $75 worth of diesel in. Credit card wont let me put more than that. (lol)
Now that's about 24 gals. I just put in a tank that the gauge said was 3/4 full. I'm thinkin this thing has a bad gauge.
The needle did move from 3/4 to a lil past full, so I'm not sure what to think. I hope it was just out of fuel.
Anybody have any experience with this? Gauge? Sender? Short? Some other more serious problem?
Thanks in advance..

Chris Stewart
03-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Although it's rare, I hear about a sender going bad.
Until you can drop the tank, I'd keep it topped off.
From full, I drove mine to just below 1/4 tank and it took 22 gallons and had gone 385 miles.

Are there any extra gauges installed, lift pump fuel pressure, pyrometer, trans. temperature sensor?

70camaro
03-27-2011, 08:51 PM
No other gauges besides stock in the dash. I prefer the clean look but might have to get some i guess. Ran fine today. Will post again I have more info.

reekor
03-29-2011, 02:25 PM
To test the cluster and fuel gauge

1. Begin with the key off and vehicle stopped.

2. Depress AND HOLD the trip odometer reset button and turn the ignition switch to the ON position BUT DO NOT START THE TRUCK.

3. Continue to hold the reset button in for about 10 seconds until "CHEC" appears in the odometer display, then release the button.

4. A series of 3 digit error messages MAY appear in the display (IF you had cluster problems) but if not then the display will proceed with the segment test; all segments then each individual segment in sequence will illuminate. If any do not, the cluster is a candidate for service. If all are OK then the next test follows.

5. The bulb of each amber indicator lamp that the cluster controls will light individually, if not, the bulb may be bad, the bulb may be loose or the bulb holder may not be installed correctly. The red indicators are LED's and if they don't light in the test the cluster must be replaced.

6. The gauge actuator test is next. The cluster circuitry will position each of the gauge needles at three different calibration points and then return the needle to its relaxed position. If any one does not respond correctly, check the spring-clip terminal pins on the cluster. If those are OK the cluster is bad.

7. The self-diagnostic test is completed. The cluster will self exit the test mode and return to normal at the end of the test. If the key is turned off during the test or if the PCM sends a message on the CCD bus that there is movement of the vehicle, the test ends. Try it!

inafogg
03-29-2011, 06:13 PM
if this just happened as you say,the seller may not have even known
about the gauge problem.i'd go back to let them know & they may
take care of the problem. ON THIER DIME!!
Good luck

70camaro
04-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Reekor- Excelent Info on the cluster test! It worked just like you said. Everything seemed to be in order. The only thing i noticed was the fuel needle moved to 1/8 then 1/4 then to full. Whereas the other gauges seem to move to about 40% on the second step. Would that indicate a problem?

I noticed there is a low fuel light that lighted during the test. NEVER saw that little gem come on! So would this light also be tied to the fuel sending unit?
Also, the trip computer tells what looks like acurate info on current and avg. mpg. Where does this info come from? Cant tell if the DTE is working as the tank is now about 3/4 full.
Looks like I'll be dropping the tank on this bad boy..

Chris Stewart
04-11-2011, 09:54 PM
The fuel mileage info is tied to the computer fuel map to get the correct amount of fuel directed through the injector pump to the injectors, dependent on all the input parameters.
This fuel map info is shared with the overhead display module. Because the fuel map is not exact, neither is the fuel info at the overhead.

Add your comment to this topic!