Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

eating oil & running rough when warm???

ipjkcu
03-26-2011, 08:34 PM
so i have 95 1 liter 5 speed, it runs fine and smooth first thing, but once it gets warm it idles rough, poor mpg 33-37 and eats a lot of oil have to say a quart every 300 miles does not leak oil, does not smoke, need new muff and resonater. check engine light is not on. can i hook it up to hand held code reader .? 95 is it obd 2?
plaese and thank you all for your help g/f drives car 50 mile one way to work so i need to figure it out. lol

Woodie83
03-27-2011, 04:20 AM
No code reader, it's OBD1 and the code reader is built in. Put a fuse in the extra, raised slot in the fusebox, it will signal error codes by blinking the CEL. Chances are, you have none stored though, they usually will light the CEL to alert you.

It's probably just wore out, get a compression test, all plugs out, engine warm, throttle wide open. Factory sped is 200, 150 is "minimum allowable", they'll usually run 'til they get down around 100.

ipjkcu
03-28-2011, 08:16 PM
so i think my check eng ligt does not work. it does not come on when you trun the key to first start i have never seen it flash or blink any body help me does it come on when you turn the key to the run postion???

Rooy
03-29-2011, 03:44 AM
Yes it should come on by turning the key to run. Sounds like it's burnt out.

Add your comment to this topic!