Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Matrix/Vibe AWD rear bearing axle nut

jdmccright
03-26-2011, 11:55 AM
I am ready to replace the rear wheel bearing hubs on my 2003 Vibe AWD (Maxtrix cousin) and found that the axle nut is not the standard type with a cotter pin. Instead it is locked in place by crimping the collar. Do I simply unbend this and remove it? Plus what is the torque spec for the axle and 4 assy bolts? I did not see any other posts on this, so I'm appealing to the masses for any insight. I can post a pic if needed. Thanks!

Brian R.
03-26-2011, 08:08 PM
See if this link (http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/) helps:

jdmccright
03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks, Brian. Found the torque values in there. Had to buy new axle nuts from the dealer ($8.50 each) and order a 30mm, 12-point deep impact socket for $18. Will update with the results.

Brian R.
03-29-2011, 04:30 PM
You're welcome. I wasn't sure that the manual applied to your vehicle. Considering how transient these manuals usually are, if I were you, I'd download and assemble the entire manual as soon as you have time. :)

jdmccright
04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Okay, got them both replaced over the weekend. The hardest part was getting to the four bolts that hold the hub to the drum backing plate and rear yoke. The bolts are deeply inset into the back side of the yoke, and there is a steel "dust shield" around the axle that flares out and interferes with any attempt to get a socket onto it. Finally, the wheel well is too narrow to gain much access behind the yoke...perhaps I could have gone underneath, but I didn't.

It took a little figuring out on the first side, but the second went smoother. The nut is removed by first chiseling out the staked section with a hammer and hand chisel. The nut material is fairly soft. After loosening the axle from the hub, I basically undid the upper portion of the yoke to let it swing down some to gain access. Then I dremeled a little of the shield's flare away next to the bolts. I used a long, 6-point socket to remove the bolts...it goes on a little cock-eyed but is good. A 12-point socket just rounded the corners off.

Car is much quieter now, but years of driving in Rhode Island snow I think killed the bearings...the fronts sound loud too now. And old tires don't help. Thanks again for the link to theose torque specs.

Add your comment to this topic!