03 trailblazer with 0442 DTC

chevy_29
03-24-2011, 09:19 PM
My 03 trailblazer is throwing a 0442 code and putting the SES light on. I think this is the right number it gave me. It was the EVAP system small leak detected. What causes this and how do i fix this? It just started doing this. It came up about 1 month ago, throwed the light on. About a week later it went off. Now it has came back on again. Thanks for any help.

MT-2500
03-25-2011, 06:45 AM
My 03 trailblazer is throwing a 0442 code and putting the SES light on. I think this is the right number it gave me. It was the EVAP system small leak detected. What causes this and how do i fix this? It just started doing this. It came up about 1 month ago, throwed the light on. About a week later it went off. Now it has came back on again. Thanks for any help.

Clear code and drive aand see if same code no comes back and confirm right code no.
If that is right code no. and it comes back.
Next step is to test /or replace the gas cap and make sure sealing ring is good and not dirty and gas tank filler neck is good and smoth with no dirt or rust on it.
Never fill up with engine running.
Do not over fill/top off and do not run tank on empty.
Keep 1/4 tank or more in it.

chevy_29
03-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Clear code and drive aand see if same code no comes back and confirm right code no.
If that is right code no. and it comes back.
Next step is to test /or replace the gas cap and make sure sealing ring is good and not dirty and gas tank filler neck is good and smoth with no dirt or rust on it.
Never fill up with engine running.
Do not over fill/top off and do not run tank on empty.
Keep 1/4 tank or more in it.
Hey MT 2500 thanks for your help. I checked the gas cap and the sealing ring is cracked up all around it. I have ordered one and it should be in tomorrow or the next day. After i replace that I will erase all codes and the put the new cap on. I will let you know if this fixed my problem. Thanks for your help.

MT-2500
03-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Hey MT 2500 thanks for your help. I checked the gas cap and the sealing ring is cracked up all around it. I have ordered one and it should be in tomorrow or the next day. After i replace that I will erase all codes and the put the new cap on. I will let you know if this fixed my problem. Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.
Glad to help.
I am starting to see a lot of bad seals on the gas caps.
Best to get your cap from the gm dealer paqts department.
Good luck and let us know nhow it goes.

Add your comment to this topic!