Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electric seat issues

idabroper300zx
03-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I have a 86 chev capric brougham, my electric driver seat will not operate in any mode, so rite it is in the forward position, i can remove the rear seat bolts, but because the seat is forward i cant access the front bolts. How can i manually move the seat back so i can remove the seat???

j cAT
03-24-2011, 02:25 PM
I have a 86 chev capric brougham, my electric driver seat will not operate in any mode, so rite it is in the forward position, i can remove the rear seat bolts, but because the seat is forward i cant access the front bolts. How can i manually move the seat back so i can remove the seat???

with the seat in any position you should be able to get these off. you will need some tools to do this ..perhaps not the standard tool set.

with the seat removed remove the motor and adjust to the position you want then reinstall the motor.

check the power to the control switch. connectors. if you can get to the motor power input and apply a fused 20a jumper to get this to move.

idabroper300zx
03-24-2011, 02:57 PM
No, you can't remove the seat in any position, when the seat is in the most forward position, the front rails are blocking the front mounting bolts.

j cAT
03-24-2011, 04:59 PM
No, you can't remove the seat in any position, when the seat is in the most forward position, the front rails are blocking the front mounting bolts.

rails covering the mounting bolts ..that is a problem.. find the connector that supplies power to motor input. see if it is a loss of power to motor. if so jump power to the motor. If the gears or other mechanical failure occured try to dissconnect the motor with seat in place. remove the lower cushion if necessary for access.

idabroper300zx
03-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Ok, thats an idea trying to remove the cushion and/or remove motor

j cAT
03-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Ok, thats an idea trying to remove the cushion and/or remove motor

why is this not working ? electrical or mechanical.

idabroper300zx
03-25-2011, 09:02 AM
maybe its is stripped gears or something is binding, because when i push button, all i hear is the motor making a short sound but no movement

j cAT
03-25-2011, 09:07 AM
maybe its is stripped gears or something is binding, because when i push button, all i hear is the motor making a short sound but no movement

this may be an object got in the gearing. like a pen etc...

see if you can clean up under the seat ...us a vacuum with a small attachment to get under the seat...

Add your comment to this topic!