Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Homemade Airbrush Compressor Help

allparish12
03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
What's going on fellas...I am trying to get back into modeling after about a 2 year hiatus and a lot has changed just in that short time. I come to you today seeking help in locating a "how to" that I printed (which I'm almost 100% sure I got from this site sometime ago).

Before I begin, let me say that I have searched not only this site, but I've used google as well to the best of my abilities and cannot find the post for anything. I thought i was close when i came to this one post, but the link is either dead or I do not have access to it because I do not subscribe to ScaleAuto Mag's newsletter.

Basically, it was a tutorial on how to build your own compressor/air tank for airbrushing with materials that cost under $100. The guide said that you could refill the tank at a gas station or by using a tire pump if that helps. I believe one of the pics used a campbell hausfeld carrying tank, and had pics of a moisture trap, regulator, and other pieces needed to make it.

Believe it or not, I was able to actually build the set up using the guide, but I'm pretty sure I have lost it (the guide) between moving over the past couple of years. I only used it once or twice before my schedule got hectic and I had to put modeling back on the backburner for a while. I am regathering all of the helpful tips that I have come across to make a binder.

If anyone could help, I would be really appreciative and grateful.

edit:: FOUND IT!!! It was literally in the last place i forgot to look...lol...just in case anyone else wanted to know...here it is...sorry for the confusion guys

http://www.reliableresin.com/tips.html

quadzero
03-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Putting all those hints and tips into a binder is a good idea. It would probly get pretty big really fast with some of the amazing work on this forum.

Khier
03-24-2011, 12:24 PM
You could also use an old refrigerator or air condition compressor instead of the inflator. Junk refrigerator usually have a usable compressor. However, the question remains if it not easier to buy a second hand airbrush compressor for this sum.

ales
03-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Here's the one I built back in 2004 and been using without a single issue since. The only difference to what you see in the picture is that the pressure regulator there did not work and I replaced it with a smaller simpler one that has a water trap incorporated in it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/ales12911/Misc/IMG_0026.jpg

What you see here is a compressor from an old fridge (free), a tank sourced through a friend (free), and automatic switch (ca $20), a couple of pressure gauges (one free, one about $5), some piping and other hardware including one outlet welded onto the tank (about $25 together with soldering), four angle brackets I made myself from an old piece of L-channel (free) welded onto the tank and the legs on the tank made from the same piece of metal (welding was free). The replacement pressure regulator was also about $15 from Ebay. There is also an $2 pressure relief valve under the pressure switch. At first I thought of painting it to make it look pretty but did not bother - it sits by my paint booth and no one sees it. It's fantastically quiet ad the tank is big enough for the compressor to be fast enough to keep the pressure up. By quite some margin, I might add. The only time you hear it, really, is when it switches on and off. Hope it's helpful in some way and as Khier said, the old fridge compressor option is perhaps a better one than the noisy tyre compressor.

allparish12
03-24-2011, 04:28 PM
well the reason i liked the set up b/c if you are someone without access to welding materials, it can give you a decent set up without the mess...believe it or not, i used to weld back in high school, so i could do it if i had the equipment...besides, i dont know too many people throwing away fridges everyday...lol...

the setup i used actually sprayed pretty good from what i remember, i just didnt have the time to really get used to it once i got it set up.

rsxse240
03-25-2011, 08:12 AM
To the original poster...Even though your setup was effective, I highly discourage using a "shop compressor" or some gas station air supply. Most of the time those compressors are oil lubed and the air coming from them is saturated with oil vapor which will destroy your paint job before it even hits the model. ask me how I know this. I did the exact thing you were talking about when I was about 14, it worked effectively, but riding my bike a mile to and from the local gas station carrying a "spare air" tank was getting really old really fast. I went to sears like THE DAY I got my driver's license and bought a 12 gallon Craftsman oil-less compressor for $160 and I've been using it for over 20 years now problem free...though the tank has gotten quite rusty inside and out over the years...but that's what moisture traps are for (I use 3 on my rig, one on tank, one on table and one on gun. the ones on the tank and table are dual moisture/debris filters and the one on the gun is a harbor freight pistol grip filter...LOVE IT!)

Wow, that fridge compressor is really cool! i've thought about doing that since I heard of it, but this is the first one I've actually seen!

I don't want to jack this thread, although the original question was answered by the same person asking the question...I was hoping a new thread on this and possibly a detailed how to may come of it. I would LOVE to ask some questions about it.

allparish12
03-28-2011, 11:40 AM
To the original poster...Even though your setup was effective, I highly discourage using a "shop compressor" or some gas station air supply. Most of the time those compressors are oil lubed and the air coming from them is saturated with oil vapor which will destroy your paint job before it even hits the model. ask me how I know this. I did the exact thing you were talking about when I was about 14, it worked effectively, but riding my bike a mile to and from the local gas station carrying a "spare air" tank was getting really old really fast. I went to sears like THE DAY I got my driver's license and bought a 12 gallon Craftsman oil-less compressor for $160 and I've been using it for over 20 years now problem free...though the tank has gotten quite rusty inside and out over the years...but that's what moisture traps are for (I use 3 on my rig, one on tank, one on table and one on gun. the ones on the tank and table are dual moisture/debris filters and the one on the gun is a harbor freight pistol grip filter...LOVE IT!)

Wow, that fridge compressor is really cool! i've thought about doing that since I heard of it, but this is the first one I've actually seen!

I don't want to jack this thread, although the original question was answered by the same person asking the question...I was hoping a new thread on this and possibly a detailed how to may come of it. I would LOVE to ask some questions about it.

well thanks for you insight...i am no expert and any advice is good advice...lol...i have my own tire pump. In your opinion, would that one eventually cause problems as well? Besides the obvious strain on it from overusing it.

rsxse240
03-29-2011, 02:48 AM
I tried using one of the emergency air 12 volt compressors. It lasted about 10 minutes before it melted. That spare air tank was just to much volume for the little pump to handle. Plus, they're only rated for like 35-40 pounds or so, and since that's the pressure I planned on spraying with, it wouldn't keep up for one coat of paint, let alone to build a whole model!

If you plan on spending $100 or less, might I suggest you look at what Harbor Freight has to offer? I have been using a $14 air brush I procured from them for about 14 years. Even comparing it to my Iwata and Paasche, I think it's one of the best air brushes for the money...but unfortunately they don't carry the particular unit I have any more.

...anyhow, Harborfreight.com has some really good deals on air brush packages that have the air brush, hoses and compressor for around $80 or so, and if you have one of their retail stores near you, you can simply print the page off the internet, take it to the store and get it at internet price without shipping, though you'll have to pay tax. Sometimes they have free shipping sales too.

Add your comment to this topic!