93 3.1L TCC Solinoid?

radrodder04
03-23-2011, 06:20 PM
My 93 cuts off when it gets to temp (about 10 mins.) it starts and idles fine. As soon as I put it in gear it cuts off. 5 mins. later it's fine for 10 more mins. I've gathered from a previous thread that it is the TCC Lock-up Solenoid. What is it? No, more important where is it located? I will fix it if someone can tell me what and where PLEASE!!!!!:banghead:

brcidd
03-23-2011, 08:50 PM
TCC lockup generally happens when you come down from highway speed and stop at a stoplight and engine stalls. Then when you start it, engine stalls again. It rarely happens from a first time start in the driveway. Do you have OD transmission? As I understand it, it does not happen on 3 speeds trannys, only 4 speed (OD) tranys.

TCC lockup is the same as driving a manual transmission car and forgetting to push in the clutch at a stoplight.- the engine stalls because it is "locked" to tranny.

Now you can test for it first, by unplugging the tranny plug (on side of tranny near radiator) and see if problem continues.

If you are certain it is tcc lockup- then the solenoid is inside the side panel of tranny (nearest wheel) - side panel needs to be removed to access.

radrodder04
03-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Thank you so much. I had driven the car prior to stopping at my drive. It is a 3 speed automatic, I unplugged the tranny plug and now I have no problem. Again I appreciate you advice. It was the cure I needed. Well maybe not a complete cure but it works for now!

Add your comment to this topic!