Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Main Seal or Crank Case Seal?

ryanrt
03-22-2011, 01:48 PM
I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid with a oil leak. I am not quite sure if its the rear main seal. If you are under the car, the location is almost directly under the passenger seat. The leak is coming from, what it looks like to be a "metal box" with some bolts holding it in. The "metal box" sits right next to the oil pan. The leak seems to be coming from where the "metal box" seals. It is a slow drip when the car turns on. The leak is not coming from under the engine. Could anyone please explain to me what this box is called. My initial thought was that it is a "crank seal box". Also, i'm assuming that I need to replace the seal but how hard is the job? Do I just simply loosen the bolts holding it on or is it quite a extensive job?

Thanks.....

tempfixit
03-22-2011, 02:35 PM
I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid with a oil leak. I am not quite sure if its the rear main seal. If you are under the car, the location is almost directly under the passenger seat. The leak is coming from, what it looks like to be a "metal box" with some bolts holding it in. The "metal box" sits right next to the oil pan. The leak seems to be coming from where the "metal box" seals. It is a slow drip when the car turns on. The leak is not coming from under the engine. Could anyone please explain to me what this box is called. My initial thought was that it is a "crank seal box". Also, i'm assuming that I need to replace the seal but how hard is the job? Do I just simply loosen the bolts holding it on or is it quite a extensive job?

Thanks.....

What color is the fluid??? Brownish, green, red??? Can you take a picture and post it. Sounds like it could be transmission fluid to me.

ryanrt
03-22-2011, 03:51 PM
It is def. coming from my engine because I have to keep topping off my oil every few weeks. My tranny fluid is still topped off.

It is very dark black. I will try to take a picture.....

Add your comment to this topic!