Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

85 toro tranny

cool_69aa
03-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I have an 85 toronado 307 v8 and recently the lockup torque convert (I'm assuming) started shifting in and out intermitently. It seems to do it more often at highway speeds (70mph) and after it warms up, but it has acted up at 55 before as well, just doesn't seem like as much.
What am I looking at here? Hopefully not a tranny or replace torque c? Is there a vacuum or electrical component that can cause this?
Any help is appreciated. Btw I am mechanically inclined, but don't know a lot about transmissions :(

cool_69aa
03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Oh another thing. What is this car worth? Assuming with no problems.
307 v8
129k miles
Oem whitewall tires
Fiber optic light indicators
Power memory seats
Power mirrors
Power windows
Tilt/tele steering wheel
Opera lights
Digital dash
Factory alarm
Maroon leather interior (in mint condition)
And I will have to check the window sticker because I'm not sure if this is factory or added on, I was told it was factory, but...
Radar detector built in hidden in ashtray.
The outside is in nice shape but not mint. It needs the bumper "filler" panels but there are no dents or anything. Inside is immaculate.
I have the original window sticker and its a 2 owner car, if that matters.
Can anyone put an approx value on it?

Schurkey
03-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Is there a vacuum or electrical component that can cause this?
Both vacuum and electrical parts can cause TCC problems.

Find a "real" shop manual for your vehicle (should be available on eBay and other sources) and follow the diagnosis procedure.

First Guess: Torque converter clutch solenoid in the transmission.

Scrapper
03-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Oh another thing. What is this car worth? Assuming with no problems.
307 v8
129k miles
Oem whitewall tires
Fiber optic light indicators
Power memory seats
Power mirrors
Power windows
Tilt/tele steering wheel
Opera lights
Digital dash
Factory alarm
Maroon leather interior (in mint condition)
And I will have to check the window sticker because I'm not sure if this is factory or added on, I was told it was factory, but...
Radar detector built in hidden in ashtray.
The outside is in nice shape but not mint. It needs the bumper "filler" panels but there are no dents or anything. Inside is immaculate.
I have the original window sticker and its a 2 owner car, if that matters.
Can anyone put an approx value on it?

is that 307 burning oil yet if not it will be? you sure it's not a 305?

cool_69aa
03-22-2011, 10:57 AM
I do have a "real" shop manual and will check into that. I also have access to mitchell.

Scrapper, the. (Chevy) 305 was NEVER put in ANY toronado so yes I'm sure its an (oldsmobile) 307. That said, how would you know it will be burning oil "soon" if you don't even know which engine I'm talking about? But no it does not burn any oil, its in perfect mechanical condition (even a/c works) other than the topic of this thread.

Scrapper
03-22-2011, 06:59 PM
I do have a "real" shop manual and will check into that. I also have access to mitchell.

Scrapper, the. (Chevy) 305 was NEVER put in ANY toronado so yes I'm sure its an (oldsmobile) 307. That said, how would you know it will be burning oil "soon" if you don't even know which engine I'm talking about? But no it does not burn any oil, its in perfect mechanical condition (even a/c works) other than the topic of this thread.

because the 307 are junk.

cool_69aa
03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
because the 307 are junk.

Oh ok, ill take it straight to the junkyard then. thanks for your input on this forum, you were a great help.

Add your comment to this topic!