Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

still having coolant lose...

ericcfx1984
03-21-2011, 01:02 PM
I am still loosing coolant...

yesterday I drove the car for 35 miles with a single problem... even the heater blew nice and hot

then my wife parked the car for a few hours and she noticed that the heater was not working, she pulled over and added coolant... the res was not dry but it was low... added coolant and drive it 35 miles home, NO ISSUES...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1061248

inafogg
03-21-2011, 02:33 PM
could have been air,how long ago was radiator placed? back on 3/5??
and its been fine until today??
may have burped out an air pocket.

ericcfx1984
03-21-2011, 04:41 PM
could have been air,how long ago was radiator placed? back on 3/5??
and its been fine until today??
may have burped out an air pocket.

radiator was a couple days ago...

only drove it one day

BNaylor
03-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Did you ever replace the lim gaskets?

tblake
03-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Bob, he was passing coolant into the oil pan if you remember this thread.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1061248

There has to be a leak somewhere. What about the heater hose pipe o-ring on the drivers side of the LIM under the throttle body. Did you replace that?

inafogg
03-22-2011, 10:41 PM
yeah this one is tough.if you believe in the accuracy of the block test
than its got to be external

inafogg
03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Eric,why dont we pull the water pump,maybe the fins are rusting away
not alot of evidence with the suggestion but i/you might want to aleast eliminate it.
it could be an air pocket but because its not pumping good enough to move it....
or maybe looking in the radiator will tell hows well its flowing

Good luck

ericcfx1984
03-23-2011, 02:27 AM
Did you ever replace the lim gaskets?

yes I did... got the metal fel-pro gaskets

Eric,why dont we pull the water pump,maybe the fins are rusting away
not alot of evidence with the suggestion but i/you might want to aleast eliminate it.
it could be an air pocket but because its not pumping good enough to move it....
or maybe looking in the radiator will tell hows well its flowing

Good luck

it is only a few months old... plus it takes around 35+ miles to start having issues

looking in the radiator? ummm... I am confused

There has to be a leak somewhere. What about the heater hose pipe o-ring on the drivers side of the LIM under the throttle body. Did you replace that?

I did... the new one came with the LIM kit...

ericcfx1984
03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
well after a short drive I can smell coolant (I am just running water at the moment, it smells like hot water, about to boil in a pan)

I can not be for sure but I think it could be coming from the vents...? but if that was the case it would be leaking from the heater core...

ericcfx1984
03-23-2011, 06:45 PM
well I noticed that if it sits over night and I try to start it in the morning it will run rough for a minute or two and when you a bunch of water and vapor comes out of the tail pipe...

my guess is that it has a head gasket leak, it is allowing the coolant to slowly pass into the combustion chamber...

tblake
03-24-2011, 08:25 AM
What do the plugs look like?

When you ran the test where you checked for combustion gasses in the coolant, did you rev the motor up? Might want to try it at about 2000RPM.

ericcfx1984
03-24-2011, 09:44 AM
What do the plugs look like?

When you ran the test where you checked for combustion gasses in the coolant, did you rev the motor up? Might want to try it at about 2000RPM.

did not check the plugs... no I did not rev the engine... to do that I would need another person to help me...

but I know that sometimes you can have a coolant leak that goes into the combustion chamber, while not allowing combustion gases to into the cooling system...

for this kind of problem I have used a product called Blue Devil, my mother wanted me to use it on her car instead of doing a head gasket job... I DID NOT WANT TO TRY IT... I told her it was just snake oil... but the funny thing is IT WORKED! and it has been fine for 2 years now

aleekat
03-24-2011, 09:33 PM
I have followed this thread and your others. Have you every done a true compression test?

ericcfx1984
03-25-2011, 12:08 AM
I have followed this thread and your others. Have you every done a true compression test?

never bothered... in this case it's not needed... coolant coming out of the tail pipe can be only one thing... plus you can have perfect compression and still have a blow head gaskets...

ericcfx1984
03-27-2011, 06:04 AM
OK! I used he Blue Devil (basically it is over priced liquid glass with a money back guarantee...)

I worked... there is no longer coolant coming out of my exhaust pipes

ericcfx1984
03-28-2011, 10:15 AM
well I am still loosing coolant somewhere...

inafogg
03-28-2011, 11:39 AM
time to pull the heads or .....throw in the towel

ericcfx1984
03-28-2011, 03:44 PM
time to pull the heads or .....throw in the towel

sadly I think you are right

Add your comment to this topic!