Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 corolla tachometer hook up!

macika3
03-20-2011, 12:41 PM
i got a 92 corolla 1.6 5 speed manual without a tach,i have an after market tach with 4 wires coming out of it red,black,green, yellow,i need help where and how to hook it up thx!

jdmccright
03-20-2011, 04:54 PM
You don't mention the specific brand of meter...most of the time you can look up the installation sheet/manual online, which I HIGHLY recommend when dealing with ignition components.

But in general, the four wires are typically as follows:

Green: goes to the negative side of the ignition coil or the tach output terminal of your OBD-I port.

Red: switched and fused 12-V power

Yellow: 12-V power from the instrument panel lighting (controls the meter's backlight)

Black: ground wire

There is probably also some switches under the back cover of the meter to change it to read 4-, 6-, or 8-cylinder engines. You may have to guess and check on this, but for DIP-style switches, 4-cylinder is usually both switches either ON or OFF.

Hope this helps!

macika3
03-20-2011, 06:36 PM
You don't mention the specific brand of meter...most of the time you can look up the installation sheet/manual online, which I HIGHLY recommend when dealing with ignition components.

But in general, the four wires are typically as follows:

Green: goes to the negative side of the ignition coil or the tach output terminal of your OBD-I port.

Red: switched and fused 12-V power

Yellow: 12-V power from the instrument panel lighting (controls the meter's backlight)

Black: ground wire

There is probably also some switches under the back cover of the meter to change it to read 4-, 6-, or 8-cylinder engines. You may have to guess and check on this, but for DIP-style switches, 4-cylinder is usually both switches either ON or OFF.

Hope this helps!
its made by glow shift!thx

jdmccright
03-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I was close. Here's a install sheet for one of their gauges:

http://www.glowshift.com/instructions/7-Color-Series/GS-710-Tachometer.pdf

Find your specific model and compare features. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!